return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

FL Press: Machete, fangs and a miracle

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Wed Sep 22 11:00:53 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

TIMES-UNION (Jacksonville, Florida) 16 September 10 Machete, fangs and a miracle (Terry Dickson)
Brunswick: A dead battery started a chain of events that almost killed Gene Waller.
About six weeks ago, Waller got up early. His 25 acres in the Otter Creek community east of Blackshear has about 10 miles of trails running through it where his five grandchildren love to ride. Some trails had gotten overgrown and what my late grandmother would call "snakey looking" so he wanted to "bush hog" it.
"I climbed on my tractor. The battery was dead so I jumped on a golf cart with a machete,'' he said.
He stopped on a trail and began hacking at briars.
"About 10 minutes into my work, something stung me on my leg,'' he said.
It hurt badly, like a hornet had nailed him, and it drew blood. Seeing nothing flying, he was going to keep cutting but felt another sting and then a third higher on his leg. It had all happened in about 15 seconds, and the last one was gushing blood.
That's when Waller saw the 6-foot diamondback rattler.
"I was enraged. I tried to hit him with that machete. But the poison had taken effect and, when I drew back, it went flying,'' he said.
His throat started closing, he had tunnel vision and he was losing his balance. With blood squirting from a punctured artery, he drove home and his wife, Kathy, drove him to Satilla Regional Medical Center in Waycross. There, they gave him antihistamines immediately to counter the swelling in his throat, administered antivenin and sent him to the trauma center at Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah.
"They had three doctors waiting for me,'' and within 15 minutes had him in ICU.
At one point his blood pressure was 190/230, and he stayed in the hospital a week. That time.
"They sent me home, but I started bleeding again and I had to go back, take another round of antivenin and spend another week,'' he said.
Waller returned to the hospital recently for some expected bad news.
"They were going to do biopsies to see how much of my leg they'd have to remove,'' he said.
It turned out the leg was healing without any tissue dying.
"The doctors were amazed,'' and that's why Waller says unabashedly he's the beneficiary of great medical care and a miracle from God.
Now, he has mixed feelings over his failure to kill the snake. He was justifiably angry at being bitten and also instantly worried that a big rattler was close to the house where his two young granddaughters, Kyler and Claire Miller, live.
But he's also glad the snake got away.
"He was just defending himself,'' Waller said. "I have all ideas I hit him with that machete before he bit me."
And, he said, they're a part of nature and here for a reason.
Not that he's taking any chances. Out of school with strep throat, Claire, 5, spent Wednesday with him.
"We just went around and put two big boxes of mothballs around her house," he said. "I hear snakes don't like mothballs."
Machete, fangs and a miracle

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]