return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Pope Viper shed issue HELP!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sanchez83 at Sun Oct 3 02:24:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sanchez83 ]  

OK So I got 3 popes vipers 2 years ago. One male, 2 females. The male had a shedding issue when i got him and eventually died. He had one section around his neck that just wouldn't come off and no vet around me would look at him. So two years have gone by and the 2 females have been flawlessly shedding and eating. About 3 weeks ago, they got a little cranky and the one bit the other in the head... I immediately separated them and put her (the wounded one) in a tank with lukewarm water and branches for a week to keep her hydrated. Honestly I didn't think she would live because she was bleeding from her head quite a bit. She made a full recovery however and then began to shed as wounded snakes sometimes do... The problem is only her head skin came off, and I have been spraying her, soaking her and using tweezers to get any skin off I can- but that old skin is literally glued on, I cant even get one scale off. Its been a week and I am afraid there's nothing I can do to save her. I cant get her to stay in water as she just clings to the top of every bathing tub I put her in, and when I physically hold her body in the water, it doesnt seem to do anything except . I have all the shedding sprays, I am as hands on as you can be with a venomous snake trying every day to pry any of her old skin off. No matter what I do though it just seems to make it worse. The old skin goes from her bottom jaw to an inch from her tail (her tail shed and the top of her head and thats it). I know if it doesnt come off soon and she goes through another shed cycle then she will probably constrict her skin to the point of death, is there any way i can save her? Keep in mind she is venomous so it is tricky getting near her jaw to help this shed... I really dont want to lose her though.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pope Viper shed issue HELP! - LarryF, Sun Oct 3 03:05:06 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Pope Viper shed issue HELP! - SnakesAndStuff, Sun Oct 3 12:05:30 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Pope Viper shed issue HELP! - conserve, Mon Oct 4 13:05:18 2010