return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Gerrhosaurus major bottegoi (Western pla

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bigtattoo at Sun Oct 24 12:54:13 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bigtattoo ]  

I just received 1.2 Gerrhosaurus major bottegoi (Western plated lizard) from Tails N More last Thursday. They're W/C adults but in excellent condition. Set them up with deep potting soil bedding, stone hides/basking spots and a big water bowl. Basking area is 110* F on top 80* F in the lowest hide area and 70* F on the cool end. The stone hides are very secure and they have several levels to hide in for thermal gradient.

When I first put them in the big male dove into the hides immediately. The first female I pulled out may give me a surprise as her sides were so distended that she had little or no folds. Hopefully she's gravid. (crossing fingers) She just stood still and watched me for a while. The second female did the same as the male and dove straight for cover. Finally the other female ambled over into the hides.

I didn't expect to see much of them for a while but mostly am concerned with getting them eating and settled in. Next morning I put on their lights and put fresh salad and left for the day. Came home and nothing had been eaten. So I made up a little tray of turkey "meatballs" and left them alone. Went back later to turn off their lights and almost all of the turkey was gone. Yea baby.

They didn't eat Saturday but to my surprise after their lights had been on for a couple hours today I went down for something else and here are the 2 females out and about. They stayed out for a minute after noticing me then scooted for cover. While there I put in fresh salad and more "meatballs". Left them alone and they ate again. So I'm stoked that they are at least eating and starting to venture out in such a short time.

They were amazingly calm while I was handling them as I unpacked them. No struggling, fussing or attempting to bite. So I have hope these will acclimate well and be good pets and hopefully breeders.

Tails N More did a great job from start to finish on the transaction. They arrived very well packed in fresh packaging and brand new bags. Obviously very healthy and plump.

I will let them acclimate a while longer then treat them with Panacur. A trick I learned after Panacur treatments is to feed some live culture yogurt with the next feeding and this helps replenish beneficial digestive bacteria.

I'll keep this updated as things progress.
-----
BigT
There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. The ignorant can be taught, stupidity is beyond our control.
1.2 P. m. melanoleucus B/W N. J. Northern Pines
1.2 P. d. deppei Mexican Pines
2.2 P. l. lineaticollis Linis or Lined Pines
1.2 P. m. lodingi Black Pines
1.1 Drymarchon melenurus Blacktail Cribo
1.2 M. s. cheynei Jungle Carpet
2.6 L. p. pyromelana Arizona Mt. Kings
1.1 L. g. californiae B/W Cali kings

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Gerrhosaurus major bottegoi (Western pla - GerrhosaurusRex, Thu Nov 18 14:06:17 2010