return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Setup for Ramphotyphlops braminus

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: caecilianman02 at Wed Aug 10 20:58:26 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by caecilianman02 ]  

In case anyone is interested in how the inhabitants of this enclosure are doing almost one year later, the answer is quite well. I ended up acquiring two Brahminy blindsnakes last fall, one of which is the largest I have ever seen. Care could not be simpler; the pill bug larvae, termites, tiny millipedes and live plants help to aerate and clean the soil. Some of the feeder insects in there are reproducing, so the snakes help themselves whenever they feel like it. I sometimes add some ant eggs, which quickly disappear, but aside from this, I never need to put almost anything into the enclosure. One side of the enclosure is misted heavily with warm water every day, while the other is barely misted at all. This provides a moisture gradient. The snakes are kept in a warm room, so I don't use any additional heat source. They are most active at night, during which time I lift the opaque flap on the front of the glass to watch them tunnel just beneath the surface of the soil. Just last night, I was treated to an incredible surprise: a tiny baby, tunneling only inches from its mother! It's nice to know that the snakes have become acclimated enough to begin reproducing. Ramphotyphlops braminus has proved to be a fascinating, unusual, and very low-maintenance captive. My most important pieces of advice are to give the snake more space than it may appear to need, keep it warm, provide a moisture gradient, and do not disturb. Hopefully other patient keepers will get to experience the joy of keeping these tiny snakes.
-----
DAVE

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Setup for Ramphotyphlops braminus - caecilianman02, Wed Oct 27 07:48:35 2010 image in post