return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: BABIES!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Candoia (Ground) Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wily_vixen at Wed Nov 3 09:46:16 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wily_vixen ]  

Where I'm located I have a hard time finding appropriately sized anoles or green tree frogs to feed the babies. After the initial 10dy-2wk wait, I offered them all 1-3dy old pinkies which about 1/3 of the litter took. I continued this about once a week until they were about 1 month old. The ones that wouldn't eat the pinkies I finally started offering live ruby red feeder minnows in the bottom of the plastic container with just enough water to kind of keep them from drying out. I had the babies singly separated in small square (sandwich sized) containers. The minnows of course flipped around and seemed to stimulate their feeding response. Some of the non-pinky babies took the minnows right away, a few it took a couple of feedings and i lost a couple that I just couldn't get to eat. I continued to offer the minnow eaters pinky mice every couple of feeding, some finally switched over on their own and some I used the scenting technique with minnow broth. My thoughts on offering the minnows was that they might eat small fish in the wild too since they will spend time soaking in puddles or shallow water. I dont know if that true, but I needed to try something and it worked for me since I couldnt easily find small anoles or frogs. It takes alot of frogs and anoles with even just 15 babies eating every 7-10dys. Plus it can be hard to find appropriately sized ones here at this time of year and its disheartening to wait 9-11 months for them to be born and lose them because you cant get them to eat. Anyway those are my thoughts. Lisa

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: BABIES!! - CBH, Tue Nov 2 10:57:23 2010