return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

AFP: Palestinian snake is 'Family'

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Wed Nov 3 05:35:35 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

AFP 20 October 10 For Palestinian snake charmer pythons 'part of family' (Hossam Ezzedine)
Ramallah, Palestinian Territories: A lot of fathers would prefer their two-year-old daughters not to ride a giant Burmese python down the street like a pony -- but not Jamal Amwasi of Ramallah.
The 35-year-old Palestinian civil servant is the proud owner of more than a dozen snakes, including several large pythons, all of which live in a shed a few metres (yards) from his home in the occupied West Bank.
"These snakes have become part of the family. Every morning and every night I check up on them and feed them," he says.
Amwasi stands out in the West Bank, where pets of any kind are rare and snakes are mostly viewed as farm pests. His experience has made him the leading local authority on the reptiles.
As a boy, Amwasi would hunt birds and gazelles in the surrounding hills, a pastime that eventually led him to snakes.
In addition to collecting local snakes, he has imported the Burmese pythons from a trader in Israel. He knows all the different species by their Hebrew names.
Some 40 species of snake inhabit Israel and the West Bank and around 10 of them are venomous, including the Sahara horned viper, the Palestinian viper, the saw-scaled viper and the long, black burrowing asp.
Amwasi used to own around 20 venomous snakes but got rid of them for fear that they might bite one of his children or a neighbour. He says he turned them loose in a remote area far from the city.
He has taught himself how to treat various bites, however, and once helped doctors administer an antivenom to a 10-year-old boy who had been bitten by a snake in a village near Ramallah.
"I got a call from a friend who was visiting a patient at the hospital, and he said there was a critical case, a child the doctors said had been bitten by a snake." He raced to the hospital and asked the boy where he was from.
"I know where the snakes are in this area, so I knew the kind of poisonous snake that was in that village, as well as the antivenom," he says. Within three days, the child recovered fully.
Now he regularly gets calls from people asking him to remove troublesome snakes. If they are venomous he kills them. If not, he keeps them.
Back at home, his children enjoy the pet pythons. Ibrahim, 13, is responsible for feeding the three-metre snakes when his father is away.
"I'm not afraid of them at all," he says proudly.
Two-year-old Natalie used to be afraid, but now she kisses them and rides on their backs as they slither down the road in front of her house.
"I'm thinking about making her a saddle,' Amwasi says, as neighbours and passers-by stop and stare.
He raises chickens, ducks and rabbits in order to ensure a constant food supply for his pets, and says he fed a lamb to one of the pythons two weeks ago.
The lamb, he admits, was hardly bigger than Natalie, but he brushes aside concerns about her safety.
"Before they eat any animal they inspect it and sniff it and taste it," he says. "Anyway, they don't eat people."
Other snake handlers disagree. Yonatan Vronski, a longtime snake collector who works with Israel's Nahariya Zoo, says Burmese pythons, though usually docile, can be deadly.
"This is not a snake that one person can handle safely," he says. "If you leave your kid alone with a snake to go in and make coffee, by the time the water boils the kid can be dead."
Amwasi has had his own brushes with the snakes, but insists the python bite scar on his left hand was simply a misunderstanding. "It thought my hand was a chicken."
For Palestinian snake charmer pythons 'part of family'

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]