return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

E. conicus not eating

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: moreau at Wed Nov 10 12:42:38 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by moreau ]  

I have a female conicus who has been off feed since the end of September. I haven't changed her husbandry at all. Temps are high 80's (usually 88-90), substrate is aspen chip, she is in a rubbermaid bin size 2220 (16x11x6". I was feeding her small adult mice, then in mid August I offered her an ASF as I had some that I wanted to use. She reused it. She then took a fuzzy size mouse at the next feeding, I offered her another ASF at the end of August and she refused it. She accepted one hopper on Sept. 10 and hasn't eaten since.

I have been offering her hoppers as that is what the male has been eating, he can't take anything bigger. Could the prey be too small? I offered her a juvy mouse last night, she didn't take it.
Could it be prey size? Or source? I was previously buying the small adult mice from a pet store, they were all white. I am now buying from a breeder, and the mice are smaller. I have tried both feeding in her cage and in a separate bin.

So the last time she ate was Sept 10, and that was a hopper. She currently weighs 215 grams. I weighed her for the first time two weeks ago, and she was 216grams. She definitely doesn't seem as chunky as she did two months ago. She is around 19" long, and I don't know her exact age, but I would guess around 2 as she will be ready to breed this coming spring.

She is in a bit of a high traffic area, my dining room. My toddler is constantly running back and forth, she probably feels the stomping. But she was always in the dining room, and she ate fine before. Also, my yearling kenyan has become a sporadic eater as well since his last shed. He shed mid October and has only eaten one pinky since then. He used to be a very regular eater. Could the two be connected? They are both in the dining room. I don't have anywhere else to put them right now.

Any advice?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: E. conicus not eating - CBH, Thu Nov 11 10:54:36 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: E. conicus not eating - CBH, Thu Nov 11 10:58:32 2010