return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  The Kingsnakes of Florida . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Mouse question...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Amp at Tue Nov 30 00:11:17 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Amp ]  

I just acquired a mouse colony from a pet store that was going out of business, and I don't know jack about raising mice. I have a 1.5 adult colony in a 10 gallon aquarium, there are also about 7 or 8 small mice and 7 pinkies in that cage too. I also have another 10 gallon aquarium with, I think, a 1.2 colony and about 7-10 small mice.

Are the adult females supposed to breed and raise the young in the aquarium, or am I supposed to separate the females that are pregnant into their own individual cage to birth their young? I do have plenty of other cages, and I think currently 4 of the females are pregnant.

Also, do I need to separate the handful of small mice into a separate enclosure to raise them to adults? If so, do I need to separate them by sex? How old or large should mice be to separate them from the mother? At what point do I put the mother back into the breeding rotation?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer and thank you in advance.

Anthony-

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Pinky death? - Amp, Fri Dec 3 00:26:19 2010
<< Previous topic:  dubia roach question - dragonzilla, Mon Nov 29 01:20:06 2010