return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Updat on chuck eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mart20 at Sat Dec 4 07:48:54 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mart20 ]  

Hi,
It turns out that it wasn't the chuck I thought that laid the eggs, it was my smallest female. The thing is the same night I found the eggs I noticed later on that the little one looked skiny and her tail looked a bit withered, and I though, god I'll have to keep an eye on her and see if I can get some weight on her, and I couldn't understand how she could have gone down hill so fast. At this time it still never entered my mind that she could have laid the eggs as I just thought she was too small as she is half the size of my biggest female. So I was up every 15 mins all night that night waiting for more eggs from my largest female. Then in the morning still no more eggs, my largest female woke up and just started acting like her normal self, jumping around and so on and she looked fine. At this point I'm thinking hold on this isn't right, and then it started to click, as I though wait a minute I remember something about them looking withered and there tails going thin after laying and the only chuck that fitted that description was the little one. I still couldn't quite belive it due to here size, but I e-mailed a guy called Tom Grebb who breeds chucks and he said that it made more sense that it was her, and I called a local reptile shop and the guy there said the same thing, and they both said the same as I was thinking that it made sense as there wer only 4 eggs. Any way I also remembered that it said to offer water to them after laying, and as soon as I did she started lapping at it and seemed to perk up straight away and then an hour or so later her tail looked a bit plumper. She didn't eat much that day but today she has eaten much more so she is doing fine. So that's another huge supprise to me, it's a bit of a roller coaster this chuck breeding lark isn't it lol. Tom answered all my questions any way, but if you feel you have some more advice for me I'm always happy to take it on board, as I'm always looking for new info.
Thanks
Martin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Updat on chuck eggs - tgreb, Sat Dec 4 10:53:37 2010