return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mites, everyones favorite topic

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sonya at Sun Dec 5 10:00:37 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sonya ]  

>>
>>I dont *see* mites, but I want to scrub and sanitize every inch of the snakes and the cages. I was going to soak the snakes (some have sheds still) then spread mineral oil on heat pits and eyes as directed. What is your method and which way should I go?
>>
>>Also, they are VERY skinny except the Cape York, she was a breeder originally so the lady said she came obese and is now perfect weight. Do you think with major cage upgrade (I personally do plantation soil by ExoTerra) they will start eating and gain weight? Should I deworm them? I work for a vet tech, and she is currently helping my coworker rehab a very ill ball thats another rescue, so she can help me administer any medicine/give shots.

Personally if it were me I would clean the cages with bleach solution and a touch of dish soap as a surfactant. Rinse and dry.
Soak the snakes in warm shallow initially then give each a mossy humid hide box...works and is less stress than soaking. Sorta treat them like a neonate and let them hydrate a week or so. Then offer a meal.
I personally would treat newspaper with either Provent a Mite or the Equate Lice spray equivalent....let it dry entirely (I do this outside) and use that as a substrate for a month or so.

I would NOT oil the snakes down. I have seen a couple snakes that, when treated topically with mineral oil shed all their scales.....it was pretty horrid. Basically reptiles and mineral / petroleum products don't go well together. If the animal has hidden mites the cage treatment will deal with it.
I would NOT deworm unless a vet checked fecal diagnosed them with parasites. No point poisoning them for nothing.
-----
Sonya

I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.
Happy Bunny

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  I agree with everything except..... - Kelly_Haller, Sun Dec 5 13:18:51 2010

<< Previous Message:  Mites, everyones favorite topic - MsPony, Sun Dec 5 00:35:34 2010