return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: BHP and snake market perspectives

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Snakesunlimited1 at Fri Dec 10 11:58:40 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Snakesunlimited1 ]  

OK here is why I say I don't expect to see this sort of thing happen this season. I have met far more people who own blackheads that have never produced with them than I have people who can get it done. I have made sales to people who are sort of "off the grid" so to speak who never post anywhere, don't go to shows, and some who only want "pets" or single snakes.

In doing shows where I have them on my table I get lots of people that tell me they have them but can't produce. One guy bought his pair at $15,000 years ago and has had slugs, fertile eggs go bad, or eggs go full term and die every time he tried to produce them. I met another guy that talk so much crap about the numbers of adults and different looks he had that I had to call BS on him and told him to show me some pics and he showed up the next day with an album full of everything he said he had...

Point is, yes there are tons and TONS and TONS of adults out there and from all of them there have been very few babies produced. I have no doubt gotten lucky the last two year but then again both of my clutches are from different females. This year is looking doubtful in my mind with the one female I have ready to go.

Also the bigger the female the less likely she can go year after year or even given a year off. If you do get her back to size you will likely see issues with her health due to the feed schedule you had to have her on to put all the weight back on. My female that I would like to try this year is about 7 feet long and she has good body weight but she really just got back to "good" with in the last month or two. Bigger females need longer, but then you have to balance keeping their fat down too...

These are not like ball pythons (beanie babies) these are much different. All this is also why you see the adults show up for sale cheap. Often it is a keeper that had to trade the animal away for something after failing because he could not bring himself to sell the animal.

Jason

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: BHP and snake market perspectives - derekroddy, Fri Dec 10 15:40:31 2010

<< Previous Message:  BHP and snake market perspectives - Matt J, Thu Dec 9 13:51:54 2010