return to main index

  mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
 
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Northern Virginia Reptile Show - Oct. 07, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  All Maryland Reptile Show - Oct. 14, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  Richmond Reptile Expo - Oct. 28, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  All Maryland Reptile Show - Nov. 04, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  All Maryland Reptile Show - Dec. 09, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  York County Reptile Show - Dec. 10, 2023 . . . . . . . . . .  Northern Virginia Reptile Show - Dec. 16, 2023 . . . . . . . . . . 

full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Kimbrell
pool banner - $50 year

GBR Press: Bitten Aussy dies at computer

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papinešu at Fri Dec 10 09:43:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papinešu ]  
   

DAILY MAIL (London, UK) 02 December 10 Man dies after being bitten by brown snake while working on his computer (Richard Shears)
Sydney: A man has died after being bitten on the toe by a snake while beavering away on his computer at home.
The Western Brown snake, one of the most dangerous reptiles on earth, slithered through the sliding doors of Michael Thorpe's house in the small town of Gingin in Western Australia.
The 43-year-old courier driver didn't notice the highly venomous creature silp under his desk and bite him on his bare foot.
Michael Thorpe of Gingin died from a snake bite on his toe. He leaves behind his long term partner Tanya and six-year-old daughter Jana
Feeling a sharp prick, he looked down and saw the snake slithering away - but instead of immediately calling emergency services, he telephoned a friend for help.
It was a fatal mistake.
It was several minutes before the friend arrived at the house, 50 miles north of Perth, and when he saw the snake, now back in the doorway, he thought at first it was a less venomous tiger snake.
Even so, an ambulance was called but by then the poison was spreading through Mr Thorpe's system and he died in hospital later that evening.
His death, the first fatality from a snakebite in Western Australia in the past year, has prompted police and snake experts to warn that the heat of summer - which has just started Down Under - can drive snakes to seek shade in areas where they might come into contact with people.
If you are bitten by a snake, call emergency workers immediately. Mr Thorpe's delay getting medical help may have caused his death
Reptile expert Mr Klaas Galkhorst, said anyone bitten by any kind of snake should get to hospital as quickly as possible.
'If you're bitten, you put a tight bandage on, like you would on a strain,' he said. 'The main thing to remember is to keep the venom in the area where you've been bitten.'
Mr Peter Sayer, manager of the Gingin Hotel, said most of the town's residents were in shock at popular Mr Thorpe's death. A tribute was due to be held for him at the pub.
Western brown snakes grow to about 5ft, but the reptile that bit Mr Thorpe was just one foot long.
Experts say it is an extremely dangerous and fast-moving snake and a bite can result in death within an hour.
Man dies after being bitten by brown snake while working on his computer


   

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]