return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

still disappointed I lost this project..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mikefedzen at Wed Dec 15 12:56:25 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mikefedzen ]  

I was looking through old pictures I have, thinking about losing these snakes hurts a good bit, lol. I don't think I ever posted about this project here. I think it was back in 2008, somebody from another forum (I don't know if he comes here) contacted me saying they found a striped ringneck snake. Ecstatic wouldn't even really describe how I felt at that time, lol, because that's unheard of as far as I know?

Anyways, a couple chats with this kind fellow and he was willing to send the snake my way for nothing. He told me he was going to gather up a couple females, since the striped was a male, then he'll be sending them on their way. Within a couple days he called me, telling me he found me more striped ringnecks, and another odd looking ringneck snake. So by now I'm ecstatic, multipled by 10, lol, and waiting is the hardest part.

Eventually the snakes arrived, I'm not even entirely sure what all I got from him, I think it was 3 striped ringnecks, all adult males, 1 baby hypo looking ringneck, and like 4 adult female ringnecks. I was having a major problem with escapes at that time using rubbermaid containers, so it seemed like the best bet to keep the snakes in those Critter Keeper plastic tanks. I kept the stripes in one tank, the females in another, and the little baby hypo was kept in a small plastic container with soil as the substrate(bad choice).

The hypo baby was the most aggressive-feeding baby ringneck snake I had ever kept in my life. By the time I fed it for the 4th time it seemed like it "knew" when I take the lid off that means foods coming. It would grab worms from my fingers. The snake ended up getting a couple blisters... how do you cure a baby ringneck of blisters?? you can't really. The snake would need to be dry for a while to be healed completely, and a small ringneck snake will dry up and die quicker than anything. Since it was so small I knew it was doomed.. :<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]