return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Arrest Made in Connection to Snakebite

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PWalreadytaken at Sun Feb 13 12:29:31 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PWalreadytaken ]  

Well Cobrafan, just from your small post, I'd bet you're perfectly legal with your collection. Complying with state laws, responsible enough to be prepared for emergencies, and well qualified to keep such animals. I'd also bet you've kept these snakes long term without being bitten. And I'll stick my neck out even farther and say your snakes are most likely well cared for, healthy specimans. Just goes to show why laws shouldn't become so restrictive to prevent all private venomous snake collections. Wade didn't fit any of these criteria. He broke state laws by illegally possessing his copperhead, was bitten twice within a two year period, and was not prepared to cope with emergencies. He obtained this (these) snake(s)from someone; the snake that killed him wasn't a local copperhead. These type folks' activities (Wade and his supplier)always seem to end up doing things that lead to more and more restrictive laws being passed by various states. Folks like yourself rarely ever make the news, at least not in a negative way, but tend to be entirely ignored by state officials and lawmakers when the other jerks do. Even with copperheads, Wade was in way over his head. He didn't just die from "anyphalatic shock", he died because he had an illegal venomous snake, supplied to him by someone's illegal activity, and got bitten. It'll do no one any good to just "shut up" about it. I hope the individual who supplied Wade this snake pays dearly; Wade already has. I don't have any desire to dismiss this type activity simply because herpers are involved. I don't have any problem with qualified, responsible folks maintaining any type animal they choose to. Getting state officials to agree is the rub. Incidents like these make it almost certain they won't even try.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Arrest Made in Connection to Snakebite - cobrafan, Mon Feb 14 12:32:06 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Arrest Made in Connection to Snakebite - cobrafan, Sat Feb 12 12:55:52 2011