return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

TN Press x2: Arrest in snakebite death

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Fri Feb 4 10:50:22 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

TIMES FREE-PRESS (Chatanooga, Tennessee) 04 February 11 Arrest in snakebite death called part of larger probe (Kate Harrison )
State officials have charged a man they call a "major player in the transportation and importation of poisonous snakes into the state of Tennessee," opening a new chapter in the investigation of an East Ridge man's snakebite death Sunday.
But Chuck Hurd, who was arrested by officers with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, said his Wednesday arrest "has no bearing on Wade Westbrook's death whatsoever."
Hurd, of Gate City, Va., was "found to have transported and housed a large black plastic box containing 12 highly venomous snakes," arrest records show. He is charged with 48 counts — four counts for each snake: possession of Class 1 (dangerous) wildlife, holding such wildlife, possession without documentation and importation without permits, TWRA spokesman Dan Hicks said at a news conference Thursday.
Additional snakes are still being identified, he said.
Along with the live snakes, the TWRA confiscated a freezer full of dead snakes and other animals they say belonged to Hurd.
Hurd, 38, could face a maximum jail time of 11 months and 29 days and a $2,500 fine on each count, Hicks said.
Hicks said Hurd has more charges pending, and that the agency also hasn't ruled out the option of seeking involuntary manslaughter charges in Westbrook's death.
Westbrook died from anaphylactic shock — a severe allergic reaction — after a copperhead bit him Saturday. Police first were told a friend brought the snake to Westbrook to check its gender, but on Thursday Hicks confirmed that the snake belonged to Westbrook.
Hicks would not confirm whether Westbrook obtained the snake from Hurd, but Hurd said the snake did not come from his supply and that he had not spoken with Westbrook for more than a year.
"I usually recommend copperheads for first-time venomous snake owners, but I never recommended that Wade keep them. He didn't have the disposition to keep venomous snakes. ... I knew he was an accident waiting to happen," Hurd said in an interview.
According to Hurd, Westbrook sought him out in 2007 to learn about handling venomous snakes.
Hurd said he was there when Westbrook first was bitten by a snake in Ringgold, Ga., two years ago, and that Westbrook suffered no major complications.
In recent Facebook posts, Hurd has asked for prayers for Westbrook's family and said he's shaken and miserable about what happened.
"I know in my head that I didn't kill Wade, but I feel different in my heart. ... I may not have pulled the trigger, but I handed him a loaded gun ... without me, he would not have had the snake," a recent post states.
Hurd, a graduate of the University of Tennessee-at Chattanooga, said in the interview that the Facebook posts referred to the fact that he initially introduced Westbrook to venomous snakes.
Hicks said Hurd's arrest is expected to be just the tip of a larger investigation into transportation of dangerous reptiles and possible illegal sales. He said the TWRA believes Hurd has made frequent trips to Chattanooga and worked with snake enthusiasts in the area.
Hurd, who works with reptiles at a zoo in Virginia, said he does not sell venomous snakes in Tennessee and only trains people to work with venomous snakes in Virginia, where regulations are less restrictive.
He said he was arrested while visiting friends this week after traveling to Atlanta for a reptile convention over the weekend.
Hurd said he knew it is illegal to keep venomous snakes in Tennessee, but not that it was illegal to transport them through the state.
Hurd was released on his own recognizance and is due in Hamilton County General Sessions Court on Monday.
His Web page is devoted to venomous snakes, detailing how to catch and care for them, complete with offers to sell everything from snakes to venom samples.
Chuck Hurd's Website
http://chuckhurd.bravepages.com
Breeding project updates
Services: Educational displays, lectures and entertainment; snake removal and relocation, birthday parties
Snakes and equipment
Venom samples: rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths
Photo galleries and personal information
Instructional videos: capture, care and feeding, first aid; religious use
Links to herpetological sites
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/feb/04/charles-hurd-arrest-snakebite-death/

WTVF (Nashville Tennessee) 04 February 11 Man Charged In Snake Bite Death Investigation
Chattanooga, Tenn (AP): Wildlife officers investigating a snake bite death have arrested a Virginia man with 12 live poisonous snakes and a cooler loaded with dead snakes in the southeastern Tennessee community where the death occurred.
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency spokesman Dan Hicks said 38-year-old Samuel Charles Hurd of Gate City, Va., was arrested Thursday and charged with 48 misdemeanor counts that include possessing dangerous wildlife.
Hicks said that unlike Virginia, possessing a poisonous snake in Tennessee is illegal. Hicks said the arrest is part of an ongoing investigation.
Hurd was released on a self-recognizance bond pending a Monday court hearing in Chattanooga. A jail officer said there is no record of a lawyer representing Hurd.
Wade Westbrook of East Bridge died Saturday from a severe allergic reaction after a copperhead bit him.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13969697/man-charged-in-snake-bite-death-investigation

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: TN Press x2: Arrest in snakebite death - cobrafan, Fri Feb 4 12:15:58 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: TN Press x2: Arrest in snakebite death - snaketaboo77, Sat Mar 5 09:46:55 2011