return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: UV artifical lighting...gut question.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Fri Feb 11 23:55:14 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Thanks for your opinions, I have been using the 10.0 but what I am thinking, is that their isn't anything wrong with a10.0 (I currently have one in my warm-up cage inside the house), one of my areas of great success has been with fringe-toes and all horned lizards. Of course many other lizards as well, but I have very successfully bred many of these species with 7.0 and I wonder how much a 10.0 is really better than or necessary over a 7.0. Certainly it seems that you all have got what has been working excellently for you and so thats a proven thing. I notice that some breeders have not used UVB bulbs with the lizards and have just supplemented them with very good results. For me I think they need the extra bulb. It would be interesting to see someone do a study on the bulbs... I have noticed that UVB high intensity bulbs lizards seem to shy away from the bulb or just stay on the periphery. So glad to get your feedback. Thought I'd throw that out there. I have a lot of breeding success with collareds, in fact almost 100%, but once they are about 2 months old, I have had issues, which is what Eve was discussing above, she has helped come to our rescue several times, but then I have lost some as well, more than what one would be comfortable. So I have made the outside cages and that has made a big difference in the young, and also took them out of my garage, as for some reason they seemed to get some kind of issue when in the garage, inspite of every cleaning and you name it, it seemed the garage, was not a good place to keep them.

I am having a better shot at it now that I keep them mostly in the natural sun and out of the garage. Recently after finding a few mice in the garage, I did the glue pad thing which i hate to do... I found that I had many mice in the garage, I mean many... So I suspect but just don't know for sure that it is possible the mice may have been attracted to the cages because of heat, also the wire on the top is 1/4", and maybe somehow these guys were being exposed to the mice. I had no idea I had that many in my garage. This house is only 5 years old but I live out in the country, where we have everything under the sun and then some. I am now working on plugging up any possible holes, going through my stuff and putting them in plastic containers, and trying to generally tidy up the garage, but I have noticed a change and anticipate this coming year will be better....

So the good the bad, and the ugly with me here in Texas..... I will be waking up my animals in another week or so, as I see we are out of the cold spell and starting up to the mid 70's and hope fully 80's soon. The male I just woke up is doing well and eating well. Looks really good.
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: UV artifical lighting...gut question. - rosej, Fri Feb 11 02:57:19 2011