return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Nice Film

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Danny Conner at Tue Feb 22 14:01:26 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Danny Conner ]  

I've only seen in person 3 crocs 15 foot or bigger. The first 2 were salts(hybrids?). These were at a tourist place and my limited observations, as a tourist, they acted much the same as Rex.
The third was completely different. Captive situation but not for tourist. A huge (1 acre) pen with a large pond heavily canopied. This huge American shared the pen with 6 females ranging in size from 8-10 feet. He's 14-15 feet obese I'm sure a 1000 lbs.
The owner had'nt planned on feeding that day. All he had was 2 large rabbits. When the big male saw us at the fence 30 feet away he took off at a dead run. The females scattered wildly.
One was to slow. She was 9 feet about 300 lbs. In midstride he grabbed this female and slung her out of the way like a ragdoll.
I'm looking at the fence knowing it can't stop this croc.
Wisely the owner tosses the rabbit over well before the croc reaches the fence. He jumps, catches, and chokes down the rabbit while still continuing toward the fence.
The owner throws the other rabbit and then says, let's go if we stay he'll think there is more food.
This croc is motivated. Keeping 6 females "in line" will make you that way. I'll get video. He is used to being fed on land...
but maybe we can get him in the water.
I've seen pics in Costa Rica of a bridge where tourist and locals feed crocs. They're jumping and they're big. I don't know if they are 15 feet.
I liked your video.
I taught photography lab in college for 4 years and I appreciate nice lighting.
I thought it was great, I thought Rex was great.
If it would have said," Feeding Rex", or "Teasing Rex", or "Excerising Rex" I would never have questioned his verticle leap.
I apologize to other readers who may have thought this thread to be tedious/petty.
BTW I don't think anyone on this forum will ever get tired of seeing pics of big salts. D.C.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Nice Film - crocdoc2, Tue Feb 22 15:20:15 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Nice Film - Danny Conner, Tue Feb 22 13:39:11 2011