return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Safe way to get rid of ants - JUST ants?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: axolotltoast at Sat Feb 19 15:48:16 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by axolotltoast ]  

Hey all, I'm here for some help with the fire ants in the yard. There's far too many of them, and they're under all the big rocks that used to house the brown snakes - which seem to have disappeared, though there's still plenty of earth snakes (found five just today). I reeeaally want to kick the ants out so that the snakes and skinks and such can move back in.

So, I researched safe, natural ways to rid of them, and came up with two methods I was going to try - cinnamon and black pepper. But then, as I researched whether or not these methods would hurt the snakes and other animals, I found out that apparently cinnamon oil deters snakes, and that (cayenne) pepper might burn their skin, though apparently that doesn't really work because they're scaly...another thing I thought I might try was (pepper)mint, but I know that can hurt some mammals so I thought it wouldn't be a good idea.

Is the sugary-cinnamon stuff the same as cinnamon oil in that it will drive the snakes away? And if I sprinkle black pepper on/around the anthills and under the rocks, will it hurt the snakes? I'd really be very grateful to hear from your experience, and if there's anything else I can use that will get rid of -just- the ants, please share - those biting suckers need to leave A.S.A.P. In fact, one of the earth snakes I picked up had an ant sticking onto him and I had to get it off! Normally the earthies are quite calm but this poor little guy was freaking out!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]