return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Weird

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tzmandevil at Tue Feb 22 18:12:41 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tzmandevil ]  

I have 5 Mediterranean Geckos that I acquired last year. A couple of months ago I noticed one was having issues shedding, but figured he would take care of himself. All the other had no issues, so I left it at that. I got busy and beside misting the case daily and putting a box of crickets in weekly, I had no time to really check him out.

A few days ago I got sometime to clean the cage and noticed he was still having issues and also that he is about half the size of his cage mates. In face his mate look like mini Kamodo Dragons; really fat. So I decided to get him a new cage and soaked him with water and removed the old skin with tweezers and eye loupe. He is very deformed and I suspect he was born this way; slightly crooked back and tail. Has issues moving quickly. I still cannot figure out how he is eating and he is eating. He was really skinny when I put him in his new cage and obviously the next day you can see he was fatter from eating a couple of crickets.

He moves like he is handicapped and here is the kicker. Somehow he has adapted to his handicap. If you startle him, he will drop off what ever he is on and play dead. Won't move as long as he sees something moving around. Leave and he will find his way back onto the log. If he sees me coming or I don't startle him he will just remain still and occasionally move his head I guess to signify that he sees me.

So, how many of you have a gecko that plays dead? Is this normal or have I found a unique adaptation from a handicaped gecko?

Taz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereWeird - tzmandevil, Tue Feb 22 18:12:41 2011 *HOT TOPIC*

>> Next topic:  New Pictus Coloration - dac343, Sat Feb 26 09:46:49 2011
<< Previous topic:  Anery/Axanthic Pictus?? - inhisgrip30, Wed Feb 16 19:52:48 2011