return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Day gecko with solidified calcium sacs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Day Geckos (Phelsuma) ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Geckoranch at Fri Mar 4 13:00:46 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Geckoranch ]  

From the info you are supplying here she sounds run down (incomplete shed, lack of eggs, lethargy, off-color, can't catch crickets to eat?) and likely hypocalcemic. To get her to stabilize I would use Allen Repashy's Rescue Cal, a powder you mix with warm or boiling water to create a liquid calcium that goes right in the bloodstream. I have attached a picture of the label, I can send a spec sheet if you like (or anyone else). This stuff works fast and more effectively than the other common remedy of Calcium glubionate, which is really hard to find nowadays. You could mix it into her food or give it to her orally.

A non-domestic veterinarian I know and trust feels that oral D3 may be problematic for certain reptiles, which affects their processing of Calcium, and full spectrum lighting may be a better way to supply it. Many products on the market have what many consider is an overdose of D3 for geckos. The regimen of RepCal and Herptivite you are using does not work (used it for many years here with same results as you) for female P. standingi that are adult breeders so I would phase that out for sure and switch to Calcium Plus (middle of the road D3, less than RepCal) for now with full-spectrum lighting you are doing and hope eventually it will decrease the size of those sacs.

Be advised full-spectrum lighting my need to be replaced as often as 6 months, it is a good idea to put a date sticker on the housing somewhere so you can keep track of that and follow the manufacturer's directions.

I would also switch to the Day Gecko food I helped develop at the Gecko Ranch Allen Repashy just came out with to drastically improve her nutrition over the carb load of babyfood. It has the same nutrients (protein, Calcium Plus and a lot more) as Crested Gecko Diet, and a flavor combo they can't resist (Fig and Cherry). I haven't used any baby food here on my Phelsuma since Crested Gecko Diet came out many years back!

Please keep us posted on how she does. I have another non-domestic vet interested in the case, so I will post any relevant details as they become available.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Day gecko with solidified calcium sacs - pollyfrogman, Mon Apr 4 12:43:01 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Day gecko with solidified calcium sacs - pollyfrogman, Fri Mar 4 00:15:45 2011