return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it this, perhaps?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: joeysgreen at Sat Mar 5 12:24:22 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by joeysgreen ]  

Edema usually isn't so quickly "deflatable" but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I have not observed edema in my cornsnakes (as per link) and would venture to say it doesn't happen to all of them. It is very much a possibility that this is an anomolly associated with captive care - cramped enclosures for example.

Air is a possibility for your boa as well. Since your boa otherwise appears and behaves normally, you have two options. You can let it be until you have a reason to pursue it again (another symptom comes up, or it doesn't go away), or you can find more information about your snake to attempt to find a cause.
The diagnostics surrounding such an intermittent problem would be difficult, and largely beyond my expertise. I would file as many, good quality pictures as you can while the snake is enlarged. Try also, to get oral pic's of the same. This will help the attending vet to target specific areas.
A biopsy might be the first test, but it would also be a shot in the dark. A negative/normal finding would be good for the snake, but wouldn't get you any further in your quest for a cause. If the problem is structural as opposed to cellular, a biopsy would be of limited value.
Imagery of various types can may be able to map any annomolies in your snake. X-rays will be of limited to no value, as this appears to be a soft tissue concern. Ultrasound will be extremely helpfull if you can perform it on the snake while the condition is prevalent. CT and MRI are available in some vet clinics (either directly or by referal) and they may be the best means towards mapping a physical annomoly that explains to symptom; even when not currently present, however making it more difficult nonetheless.
Exploratory surgery is another more extreme option. At this point it would be more in the name of science as opposed to being justified from a medical perspective as there is minimal gain in quality of life to be expected.

I hope I've helped you with this information. At this point, barring an extensive oral examination (under anesthesia) by your second opinion DVM, I think to learn more about this problem you will have to commit to a lengthy road of diagnostics.

Ian

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Is it this, perhaps? - AnnaCB, Sat Mar 5 16:39:52 2011

<< Previous Message:  Is it this, perhaps? - AnnaCB, Thu Mar 3 18:17:57 2011