return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A few good choices for first hot?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: deathstalker at Wed Mar 16 14:10:47 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by deathstalker ]  

Larry,

Gods, am I thankful I came on here. I used to frequent the Hognose forum among many others back in the mid-late 90s to help several which was appreciated, and now the help is being returned.

I suppose there are two sides to every story, or in subjects of fatality statistics, perhaps just some numbers missing. The 0.02% fatality rate of Agkistrodon makes more sense now, and which may or may not be significantly greater than a dog indeed. Still, like any other hot or potentially fatal animal, it should be learnt, feared, and respected to NO end! ...never to be underestimated! I have come to this more clear reality now, and being a guitar player and motorcyclist, I'd like to keep my fingers and full feeling of my arms.

It's also good to know a LTC Agkistrodon sp. can still be a good first hot, thank You.

I will most graciously accept a mentor if I can find one. Indeed, I have thought and even feared over a hot getting wryly and falling off the hook, starting to get away, and the like...I let this fear be a guide but not to live in - this guide encourages me to seek out a mentor that much more.

With Atropoides spp. having a lower metabolism, do You think there's a lesser chance of losing control over them? I presume You might also suggest an Agkistrodon sp. because of a possibly lower metabolism as well? What are Your thoughts on Tropidolaemus wagleri in regards to control?

Timothy

>>There was another copperhead fatality several years ago, also from an allergic reaction. I've never heard of a fatality that wasn't, though without proper care I could see a fatal infection being a possibility. One could argue that your chances of DYING from a captive copperhead might not be significantly higher than for a dog.
>>
>>However, while still not common, significant tissue damage, up to loss of several fingers or permanent impairment of an arm happens often enough to make it worth taking them seriously.
>>
>>You probably WILL want antivenom for a bad copperhead bite to reduce the amount of damage even if you are unlikely to die.
>>
>>That being said, due to the low risk of death, they would be pretty high on my list for a beginner, especially if you can get one that's been in captivity a while.
>>
>>As many others have said though, if at all possible, find a mentor. It's really nice to not only have someone to turn to for advice, but to back you up the first few times you lose control of a snake (it will happen).
>>-----
>>What goes up must come down...unless it exceeds escape velocity.

-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - LarryF, Wed Mar 16 17:47:33 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - LarryF, Tue Mar 15 19:41:18 2011