return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A few good choices for first hot?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: deathstalker at Wed Mar 16 14:57:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by deathstalker ]  

Ian,

I am receiving so much great input, and so various yet in sync with each other. When ultimately prepared and ready to take on my first hot and develop with this ballpark of herps, and to perhaps pursue my herpetology degree and maybe specialize in antivenin as made mention in previous message, I look forward to actually being a part of this community.

A 2" strike range is definitely easier to escape than a 2' one! ...as can be demonstrated with harmless snakes. Thus, unless a calm LTC Agkistrodon sp. comes my way, I will go with a CBB baby. Thanks for this realization of safety, and growing with the snake makes much sense!

Although I don't have a mentor to show me the ropes of hooking, I feel I would be a-okay just from my 19 years of watching not just on TV, but in-person, too. I am very visual, and vividly so, thus I am good at 'acting out my thoughts' if You will, move-for-move. And as stated in an earlier post, I feel my sixth sense if You, or my intuition, towards snakes is prime. Of course, every genus to every species is different, even specimens within a species, and it's hots were working with here. But yes, my sixth sense/intuition, vividly visual mind, 'improvisation' too if You (of feeling and dexterity), and so forth would guide me quite well with hooking.

Nonetheless, a mentor would be a plus indeed.

I have learned from both You and Larry that Agkistrodon contortrix sspp.'s overly bad reputation for attitude is exaggerated upon and undeserved. It is good to know ALL vipers, it seems, will calm down and ease in, yet it is good to know my concern towards demeanor/aggressiveness is still legitimate. I have also visualized becoming so complacent with such a calm snake, that one could become careless and make way for danger. As made mention in my response to Larry, I am guided by my fear (and also paranoia) which, again, brings forth quite vivid thoughts of what could happen, and this will make me even more careful, I truly believe!

As a further note, I, too, have seen quite the calm and relaxed snakes come forth during feeding time with a most voracious disposition! "Expect the unexpected" is a good law (of Nature) to follow in everything in Life. One can never be too prepared or cautious when it comes to potentially fatal (or destructive, in reference to losing fingers or other sensitivity) animals, and it should always be remembered that no matter how tame they may be, they're still wild animals with wild minds that can turn on You at any given moment, without any sign/notice! ...especially with snakes which don't give off many expressions-of-emotions, and thus where the sixth sense/intuition is crucial!

Agkistrodon contortrix sspp. have plenty of class for me, and if You and Larry say they're a good first hot, it flies with me. It's good to know Agkistrodon b. bilineatus is a good alternative, though, and perhaps yes, a naturally more aggressive-till-death and predictable hot might keep me on my toes that much more, heh. Thanks again!!

Timothy

>>My thoughts. First, please start with a cb baby. It's pretty easy to stay out of range of an animal with a 2" strike range. Your skills will grow as the snake does. If you had a mentor to demonstrate hooking and let you practice on his animals, starting with an older animal might be a consideration.
>>
>>Your concern about demeanor, how aggressive the snake is likely to be, etc. is reasonable, yet there is more to this issue. Nearly all Crotalids and Viperids will settle down enough to become manageable and enjoyable captives. The truly difficult, psychotic snake will be an aberrancy, no matter the species. There is a flip side to the benefits of having a calm snake. You will at some point be tempted to become complacent. Don't laugh. It will not happen while you are new at it, a bit apprehensive and always on your toes when interacting with your snake. But temptations will arise. A snappy snake will always demand your full attention. Second to complacency, the next greatest danger is feeding response. Even a very placid snake can develop an insane feeding response. It is worth remembering that even a snake you have come to know very well is capable of a quantum increase in feeding response at any moment.
>>
>>I think it is hard to beat a copperhead for a first hot. They are beautiful and tend to become fairly relaxed captives. They have every bit as much "class" as more exotic species. If you are not quite sold on a copperhead, I'll suggest a cantil. As far as snakes go, cantils have major personality. Diurnally active, extremely alert and responsive, they will nearly always turn to greet you as you approach the cage. Did I say "greet"? I meant "bite", as biting you seems to be their eternal desire. But their snappiness makes them completely predictable. They are really much more manageable than I am making it sound. Babies tend to ride a hook better than baby copperheads.

-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - LarryF, Thu Mar 17 14:27:15 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - Ian Long, Wed Mar 16 10:36:10 2011