return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My .02

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Deathstalker at Sat Mar 19 23:22:23 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Deathstalker ]  

Kris,

Indeed, it is illegal to keep hots within my state without permits, and eligibility for them is still in the works - my credibility and qualifications being vouched for by "connections"...I hate that term as it has a bad connotation to me in this context, like it implies I wouldn't get approved legitimately. But I am legit, and I have yet to heighten this via forwarding to the state I would like a mentor if one can be sought out for me (even from a zoo, where I'd put in the hours without pay as an example of a scenario).

Even if denied, I would not see "all of this discussion somewhat of a moot point" because I have actually had ambitions to move out of this state for a handful of years now (to Europe eventually believe it or not, but I consider Alaska, down south to the Carolinas or FL, or southwest for now). I have various reasons for wanting to leave the state I have been born and raised into for 27 years. So, it is good preparation, I say on the contrary.

Probably the greatest thing You have brought to my attention is the cost of a snakebite! I'll be honest and perceive Your $50K quote as an exaggeration, heh, but if a copy of a bill can be scanned and uploaded for my viewing pleasure, I will believe it. Nonetheless, I can imagine it's expensive, and I can further imagine I'd be hit even harder if found out to be from an 'enjoyment pet.' This is something for me to think about, but honestly, I try to be quite the optimist and positive believer, and I cross bridges when I get to them. This is NOT to say I might not prepare a little via saving money in my coming years (and forever more all of the time I were to keep hots) plus consulting with insurance companies, but I won't lose sleep or fret over it.

This would also be saying everyone gets hit with the 'dilemma of a thought' about snakebite cost...and obviously, it hasn't deterred any of You, has it? ...unless, of course, You're just all rich, ha!

"There are so many variables here that I won't attempt to list them all, but suffice it to say that a snakebite is painful in many more ways than the physical pain itself."

I cannot see not being able to agree more as the possibilities of impairment are probably beyond comprehensible mind, and if read correctly as a figure of speech-like, I can only fathom what the all-around pain would be like. Again, common sense, practicality, a clear head, and utilizing logic are what seem to keep one safe. No one is perfect, and no one can resist the words of Destiny...id est, if something is to happen in spite of doing everything by the book, so it is.

"...they're all dangerous and statistically speaking the most dangerous snake is the one that just bit you."

Very well said, Sir! I like the sound of that, and I can't say it sounds less than the truth. As I have acknowledged in previous responses--being corrected from my slight ignorance in my original message--NO hot is to be underestimated, this I know (now)!

I also like how You have become the second or third person to state that perhaps having a more 'permanently' nippy snake may be better than a "placid" one which a keeper could become "complacent" to - it makes sense, for a specimen that "isn't shy to let you know how it feels about you" would keep a keeper on their toes!!

Thank You for the acknowledgement of me going about this maturely, responsibly, and professionally, and perhaps 'humbly' for my own choice of words. I am naturally humble, but I admit I am proud of how long I have stuck with the hobby, and also that I perceive my herps AS PETS which I keep to the end! ...to ease Your last concern.

Back to responsibly approaching the new grounds I am ambitious for, I just don't want to become a statistic, and I also feel for the 'hot community' when an egotistical, arrogant, ignorant, know-it-all takes this part of the hobby up for the notoriety, prestige, whatever and gets himself killed (or even maimed) which makes the good, smart, and responsible hot-keepers such as Yourselves LOOK BAD. I want to do things right and gain these new experience safely, legally, and legitimately.

Lastly, I really, truly thank You, Kris, and everyone else on here who has responded with their utmost concern for my and everyone else's safety, and having provided the best and most professional advice possible to learn correctly. It is MUCH appreciated!!

Timothy

>>For what it's worth, I'll add my .02 to the mix...
>>
>>First things first, make sure that vens are legal where you live...I know you said that you're in the process of getting permits, but if you can't get the permits then all of this discussion is somewhat of a moot point. (Good from an educational standpoint, but moot from a husbandry standpoint.)
>>
>>Second, I've seen the physical aspects of a bite covered to varying degrees here...Which is good, because it is a consideration...but just as important are the financial aspects of a potential bite...I'm not sure what kind of medical insurance you have, but a snakebite is EXPENSIVE...Also, many carriers won't cover it if they become aware that you were bitten by a captive snake. Can you afford to shell out $50,000 for a momentary lapse of judgement?
>>
>>Along those same lines, while Agkistrodon contortrix or Sistrurus milarius aren't likely to kill you, in the event that you are bitten extremity morbidity is a distinct possibility...something to consider if you work in a profession that requires manual dexterity (or play a guitar as you mentioned). There are so many variables here that I won't attempt to list them all, but suffice it to say that a snakebite is painful in many more ways than the physical pain itself.
>>
>>I won't give a species recommendation because well...I don't think there are any good "beginner" venomous snakes...They can all kill and maim...copperhead to Gaboon to monocled cobra...they're all dangerous and statistically speaking the most dangerous snake is the one that just bit you. That said, I would recommend AGAINST getting a snake that was "placid"...You'll be surprised...after a few years, you might begin to think you "know" the snake and that's when you get complacent...and when the snake has a "bad day". Instead, consider a snake with a reputation for "spunkiness"...The advantage here is that you ALWAYS know where you stand with that animal and your guard is always up in dealing with it. It's hard to get complacent with a 5 foot atrox that isn't shy to let you know how it feels about you.
>>
>>I'm not trying to discourage you...Sounds like you've done a good bit of research here, and you are to be commended for that...Too many people don't and it winds up giving all ven keepers a black eye in the public scene. In the end, I'd HIGHLY recommend going the mentor route, but failing that get something that you feel is within your skillset (after critically examining what your skillset that is). Also, get something that you'll enjoy caring for for the rest of it's life...If you won't be fascinated by it 2 years from now, best not to go down that road to begin with.
>>
>>-Kris
-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My .02 - TimCole, Sat Mar 19 23:29:20 2011

<< Previous Message:  My .02 - azatrox, Fri Mar 18 05:33:20 2011