return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A few good choices for first hot?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Deathstalker at Mon Mar 21 02:03:11 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Deathstalker ]  

Larry,

Of course, there are always exceptions, hence my 'generalization.'

I shouldn't be asking this, so We'll perceive this as a hypothetical inquiry for curiosity sake, People, to prove I am NOT looking to start with an Elapid (!!), but what would be a good recommended first Elapid-hot? (I suppose when ready for Elapids in the future, this will be good to know, so it's fine to inquire now, I say. )

What intrigued me to inquire is because of Your, "Even death adders..." comment which lead me to wonder if perhaps there is a more manageable-than-aforementioned-Vipers Elapid-hot that would be good for a beginner...? Frankly, in some sense, as I believe Chris (?) said, the most dangerous hot is the one that just bit You (albeit an Elapid that much more deadly, this I understand!), and as You, Larry, end with the Pygmy comment...

I just wonder--again, a hypothetical answer, I am expecting--about any Elapid that would be a "good" first hot. I didn't know if because I started this thread with a 'Viper focus' that perhaps it (even subconsciously) kept everyone focused on recommending the best Vipers only. Frankly, from what I have heard about Elapids, they sound too crazy to deal with as first hots, and of course the trivia I learned at 7 years of age (1991) that a cobra (in general) can kill a man in 15 minutes always made me think 'no way' (-for a first hot, that is).

Back to Death Adders, as much as I pride myself in escaping strikes or being able to read one ahead of time and retract, I don't think I want to take on a Death Adder, ha!

I would like to randomly stick in here having watched a video forwarded to me by my girlfriend while typing this: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/12/rattlesnake.roundup/index.html which I have re-learned and re-realized about from years ago, how 20K-30K rattlesnakes are senselessly killed every year in the Texas "Rattlesnake Roundups" via gassing/burning, beheading, among other barbaric manners. It enrages me and makes me want to breed rattlesnakes (namely, Texas species) all that much more to ensure these magnificent creatures don't go extinct! So much for "Don't tread on me" with a rattlesnake logo, damn hypocrites...

I just figured I would share my discontentment with others who actually LOVE and RESPECT these creatures, too, and also ones who understand what I have previously stated in another message: if ALL venomous snakes were to disappear, Our ecosystem would be screwed, and MORE people would be dying from diseases spread by vermin and lack of crops!

Timothy

>>>>Haha, fair enough. All-in-all, it sounds like many Elapids are quite tricky...? And thus, vipers *in general* are more manageable...is this a good generalization?
>>
>>That's a pretty good generalization, with a few exceptional species and many exceptional specimens. I even had one forest cobra that was quite laid back, but I can't think of an elapid that I would recommend for a beginner (to hots). Even death adders can go spastic on you. Sort of like a pygmy that can kill you...
>>-----
>>What goes up must come down...unless it exceeds escape velocity.
-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - LarryF, Mon Mar 21 02:43:58 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: A few good choices for first hot? - LarryF, Sun Mar 20 11:54:56 2011