return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

225 Gallon multi species plan/questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: brien224 at Sat Mar 19 07:44:00 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by brien224 ]  

Okay, First and foremost, I have just begun research into the aquarium world. This build will be built at the soonest, in 4 years.. most likely more. I have a bit of experience (about 6 years) keeping reptiles, so I know quite a bit about them and requirements. I have read and cared for a ton of rescued turtles as well, but I figured I would find out what would work together before I even begin the planning of the built so as to build accordingly. I am in the construction trade (still new at that too) so, I have access to tools and supplies for cheap or free.

That being said!! To begun the plan!

I am planning a very nice display quality mixed turtle/fish/underwater creature tank. I plan on building the tank with 3/4' plywood, sealing the inside with lots and lots of layers of fiberglass. The dimensions (roughly) are to be 5 or 6 feet long by 3 feet wide by a water depth of 2 feet and a tank/paludarium hight total of 3-5 feet. This equates to roughly 225 gallons, but for the sake of discussion, I will use 250 gallons as the size of the tank.

I would like to do a few species of turtle, mixed with fish and crustaceans. I plan on making a fake rock background and possibly sides as well and into it, I will make sure there are numerous hiding places where turtles and larger fish cannot reach and where smaller things can hide.

I will have multiple bulbs mounted to the ceiling of the tank, and have multiple basking sites for the turtles so there is less competition for them.

My original thought was to have a snapping turtle and the first bit of research into that made me change my mind. I knew they got big so I thought they would look lovely in a huge display. But their power made tank furnishing difficult and their appetite made a community tank unlikely.

Posting limit. There is more

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  IND Press: On a [turtle] rescue mission - W von Papineäu, Wed Mar 30 10:43:24 2011
<< Previous topic:  Diamondback Terrapin - articreef, Tue Mar 8 21:17:12 2011