return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Female lewisi eviscerated

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Mark M at Wed Apr 27 00:49:43 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Mark M ]  

I normally dont post every tradgedy that happens (thank goodness it doesn't happen much), but this one I will because I think we all can learn something from it.
This evening, two weeks after my normal spring introduction of my female lewisi "Baby" to my male, I spotted a lot of blood on the kennel floor. I looked in the hide box and in horror saw my female hiding in a small half pipe in the hide box with her guts hanging out and and chunks of viceral fat lying on the floor. She had been attacked by my male after 16 years of being together every summer. I scoop her up holding my hand underneath her so her guts wouldn't fall out, put her in a plastic rubbermaid tub, sprayed saline solution on her guts and rushed her to the 24 hour vet. Luckily there was someone on staff that has some reptile experience. Since this female is my favorite and greets me in my office and "appears" to like me also? I decided to drop the big bucks and have surgery although I was told there is a 50/50 chance she would make it.
The vet called me around 10 pm tonight and said all her organs seem to be intact and had some eggs developing but none were ruptured. All the stuff hanging out was viceral fat, so the mangled fat was cut out, cavity was cleaned, and she was sewed up. If she makes it through the night being on an IV drip and antibiotics, she can come home tomorrow with hopes that an infection wont happen, and infection is the biggest fear at this point.
I hope this information is helpful to someone in the future, but am not sure what the lesson learned is?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Really sorry to hear this Mark.... - tgreb, Wed Apr 27 06:00:28 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Female lewisi eviscerated - jf, Wed Apr 27 09:48:09 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Female lewisi eviscerated - bayzow, Wed Apr 27 14:55:17 2011