return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Boniato leaves

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wildheart1 at Wed May 4 05:43:32 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wildheart1 ]  

"I also started adding in Romaine lettuce to boost water intake since my iguana consistently poops in her water bowl so I've taken it out."

Please do not feed your iguana any type of lettuce, they desperately need all the nutrition they can get and by filling themselves with lettuce defeats the whole object. You can soak the greens in water for 10-20 minutes before giving it to your iguana, that way it will have more water than lettuce.

Iguana diet: Home

Iguanas HATE pooping in their cages, they are very clean animals and do not want to step in their poop, see it or even smell it. It is perfect that he poops in his water bowl, this way he keeps his cage clean and makes it easier for you to clean daily. Add another bowl of water for him to drink from, although iguanas do not drink from bowls.

"I take a mix of the whole leaves of these greens and rather than chop them up and put them in a bowl, I tie the end of a bunch with a long twist tie and I hang it in her cage."

The iguana has a hindgut between the small and large intestines. It has valves inside and is filled with microflora, small organisms including bacteria and possibly protozoa. This helps slow food down so the microflora can easily break down the cellulose which enables the iguana to extract more nutrients from the passing food. Iguana researchers estimate that Iguanas may obtain 40% of their energy from the hindgut fermentation.

Iguanas need a minimum of 29C (85F) to properly digest their food because the mocroflora in the iguana's hindgut are only activated at this temperature.

If the food are not cut into small bite size pieces little digestion will occur in the stomach. Food chopped and shredded in small pieces will mean less work for the iguana's digestive system and allow the iguana to eat more food per meal, receiving more nutrition.
Iguana Care Sheets & Diet

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Boniato leaves - ltllzrd, Fri May 6 19:33:44 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Boniato leaves - Really, Sat Jun 11 13:41:05 2011 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Boniato leaves - ltllzrd, Mon May 2 10:10:02 2011