return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Amazing Product

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: SoLA at Mon May 9 22:29:46 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SoLA ]  

I just want to post an great review of the new Herpstat 4. I can't list all incredibly cool things they programmed into this device, so I decided I would share how I used it to set up one of my Pseustes poecilonotus cages (photo included below).

The upper right part of the cage has a heat panel with probe by the rock on top of the hide basket. It is set to begin warming up at 5 am for 8 hours peaking at 97.9F by 1 pm where it stays for 3 hours and begins to cool down from 4pm to midnight getting down to 77.7F. Meanwhile there is a probe in the lower left part of the cage set to 70.7F from 9am to 9pm and 66.6F 9 pm to 9 am. To attempt to get close to these temps I have a fan pulling warm air out of a warm side vent and a fan blowing cool air into a cool end vent. Obviously right now it will not hit as low as I targeted, but once I get my basement finished, it should get a little closer. The point is to maximize thermogradient, and I certainly can't think of a better way.

Every 5 hours a reading is taken for my humidity targeted between 75% and 85%. If during any check it is below this, my misting system (see two nozzles in center) will go off for 90 seconds. In addition, at 11:30 am and 7 pm, the system will mist for 90 seconds regardless of the humidity at the time.

I had my lighting set to have the LED lights on at 1% at night to mimic moderate moonlight and at 5:30 am to 8:45 am, the light will gradually brighten to 100% where they stay until 6:00 pm where they fade back down to the 1% moonlight by 9:15 pm. Unfortunately my LED lights run on a 120v to 12v transformer and it can't handle the dimming so I need to use straight 120v lights or find a transformer that is "dimable."

Everything I mentioned can be done on the Herpstat 4 and you still have and outlet to spare to do whatever else you want to do on. And I came nowhere close to using up the watt limit pet output, so if I had more cages this size, I could have them all running the same way.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Amazing Product - SoLA, Tue May 10 19:05:13 2011