return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

The F word

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JackAsp at Sun May 22 12:31:41 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JackAsp ]  

No, not that one. The word I had in mind was "fat." Lupe has always been prone to obesity, but right now she's coming off some heath issues. Still getting Fortaz injections every other day, in fact. So whatever she wants to eat, I kind to want to give her, especially since if her egg production goes into overdrive before she's back to a hundred per cent any excess weight she's carrying might pretty much disappear anyway. However... she IS really fat. And she's been off crickets for a while. Over the last several weeks, she's eaten mealworms, superworms, roaches, calcium dust, Carnivore Diet (at the vet,) and Mazuri Bird of Prey Gel (a couple of times right after I got her back.) She looked at a cricket with interest today, but didn't actually pursue it, and when I hand-feed them to her she shows no interest at all. The other bugs I listed will still be accepted from my hand, but crickets have just not been a hit with her lately. I expect that to change eventually; sometimes they get bored with whatever bug for a while and then suddenly rediscover it. But meanwhile she's eating a lot of fatty prey items, LOOKING like she's eating a lot of faty prey items, and still has not displayed full breeding colors this year, so I tend to suspect that what I'm seeing is more ham than egg.
Should I worry at all about excess weight at this point? I mean, to be honest, I think she would probably be at least as healthy on two thirds her current food intake. But "think" is the key word here. I don't actually KNOW.
-----
0.1 2006 Western Hognose (Bebe)
0.1 age unknown Cane Toad (Hengo)
1.0 2006 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Queequeg)
1.0 2006 Madagascan Speckled "Hognose" (Sigmund)
1.0 2008 Bullsnake (Winkle)
1.2 2008 Eastern Collared Lizards (Pancho, Lupe, and Chica)
2.0 2009 Eastern Collared Lizards (Cesar and Nino)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Nobody answered * Geesh... - Eve, Wed May 25 10:21:09 2011