return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Little weekend surprise

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pyromaniac at Wed May 25 22:08:09 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pyromaniac ]  

She is only about 80 grams, definitely not what I would consider breeding size.
OMG! That is a little girl!!!

I have a pair consisting of one 08 male and one 09 female. He weighs 115 grams and she weighs 140 grams. There was a third member (half sister to bigger female) but she only weighs 73 grams so I separated her from the larger two several weeks ago. The 140 gram female was eating a huge amount until just about ten days ago. Now she looks like she may be getting ready to go into blue again and she is seeming rather restless.

The pair today:

She is the one with her head near the top, and not in blue. If she turns out to be gravid she does have a moist sphagnum moss hide to lay her eggs in. I have not seen them mate, though, and the male never did have the usual lack of interest in feeding like my older male did this spring. In fact, this spring he has outdone himself feeding wise, which is a big improvement over his sporadic feeding history of years past.

So if a little bitty 80 gram female can lay eggs, I had better keep on eye on this pair; I too might get a surprise! Actually, when I look at this photo, he looks more gravid than she does. Now that would be a hoot if I had them sexed wrong and "he" laid the eggs! LOL!
-----
Bob
Pyromaniac AKA Greatballzofire
Keeping cats allows man to cohabitate with tigers. Keeping reptiles allows man to cohabitate with dinosaurs.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Little weekend surprise - greg_huston, Wed May 25 21:05:12 2011