return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feral cats are more popular than enormous feral lizards.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: honuman at Mon Sep 29 22:20:20 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by honuman ]  

It is difficult if not impossible to keep this in check.
We can't even get people to spay and neuter their cats or keep them indoors where they are safer and healthier and not destroying native wildlife.

How can we get people to not dump their reptiles? You can try outreach but that only goes so far. I am sure some people even think that they are doing the animals a service by setting them free. People just don't think (right from the moment that they buy the animal on impulse). Then they want a quick fix to get rid of the monstorous reptile and so they set it free.
Even here on Long Island where we have cold winters (Brian you will remember the thread below about sulcata being released here.)

Breeders and pet retailers need to inform people ahead of time what they can expect down the road with these creatures and not just take the money and run. Ask questions about what kind of set up they have for them do they understand what they eat and how large they grow or aggressive they can get.

Of course some jerks will buy them whether they can care for the or not just cuz they're "cool man!!"

It is very frustrating. The other problem is that folks do not connect with these animals as much as kitty or Fido. So they treat them like even bigger disposable items (dogs and cats get that too but for some reason people feel they are more deserving of compassion than a herp, bird or fish or invert.)

I am not sure what will turn the tides on this stuff. Frankly - I am a cat lover (have two of my own who live indoors always) but I only feel anger at the people who let their cats run and get eaten by these creatures or coyotes and not the animals doing the eating and as for the feral cats these feral lizards are doing a service by eating them. Still the damage to native animals is a real concern.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Feral cats are more popular than enormous feral lizards. - Brian-SFCRC, Mon Sep 29 22:01:44 2003