return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Brioche is dead?!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Flavia Guimaraes at Fri Jun 24 09:50:34 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Flavia Guimaraes ]  

No, they were not caged together.My other uro-Muffin- is really old.I bought both Muffin and Brioche on 2003, 8 years ago. Brioche at that time was an young adult Mali uro but Muffin was already a senior citizen when i bought him 8 years ago.He is still doing fine but his skin became sort of flacid around his body.

Well Brioche had a huge cage for an uro, 1 meter by 1 meter, with 2 wooden hiding boxes and his own UVB light, a plate of seeds and a bowl of water. I keep the cages always dry and clean. Under the UVB was 110 and the overall cage temp was around 80 F during the day and 70 F during the night.Inside the wooden hiding box i supposse the night temp was higher.

As i wrote in my last message i didnt have time to play with them and i almost never take him out of his cage.Once in a while i took him to my room to keep me company while i was reading but never outdoors because he was afraid of the wild birds. He looked very content in his cage eating his seeds and greens and basking. The day i gave him a warm bath because his skin looked very dry he was allowed to sleep on my couch!.But that happened 2 or 3 weeks ago and he didnt look sick ater that.

The temperature in Brasilia is very dry right now, hot during the day 90 and cold (around 60F)during the night. The weather is so dry i saw him a few times drinking water from his water bowl.

I keep my babies inside my garage (it became My Lizard´s ROOM) where i keep the temp higher during the night, around 70F.
I dont know why he died.After he died I examined his body and it was perfect.No sign of injury, his feet and hands were perfect no mold or abcess, nothing.The skin colour was fine too.I think that if he had caught some bacteria he would look sick and lethargic before he died and that was not the case.I saw him coming to his prefered basking spot the day he died.He was walking awkwards but he was not lethargic or distant.

Then i think maybe spending the night at 70F was too cold for him.Thats why maybe he was walking clumsy the next morning.Because he was cold.Then i think if he was cold why he was eating so much and why the poop he pooped before he died was so well digested? And why he died only at 21:00 after spending more than 12 hours under his basking light? And why so many times he slept on his basking spot even when his light was off if his wooden hiding box was much warmer?

And why he didnt hibernate this year?That is the first year since we left Malaysia in 2004 that Brioche didnt hibernate.I dont know.But if i have to change something id keep his cage warmer during the night.

The photo shows Muffin and Brioche in Malaysia in 2003.At that time their cages were much smaller because we lived in a small apartment.When we arrived in Brasilia in 2008 we built our own huge house and all my lizards (including the uros) got new huge cages.My iguana´s cage is 3 by 3 meters (not feet!!).

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Brioche is dead?!!Spiders bite. - Flavia Guimaraes, Fri Jun 24 10:37:35 2011 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: Brioche is dead?!! - rtl402, Fri Jun 24 08:32:42 2011