return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Update on Egg

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OliveJewel at Mon Jul 18 11:45:58 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OliveJewel ]  

Sounds Very Good!

I finally slit my egg which had collapsed and turned ugly (it was 6 weeks after laying) and there was no sign of an embryo at all! It was around 2 weeks after laying that I didn't check on it for about 3 days and on the third day I checked it and it had deflated. The temps in the incubator were fine, but the humidity in the deli cup had gotten too high, which doesn't seem like that would cause an egg collapse... I heard that too high humidity causes the eggs to burst... but it's hard to say. I also had used non-sterile vermiculite (the same stuff that I hatched out the other two eggs last year--dumbest mistake ever) so there may have been spores and dormant microbes just waiting to consume the eggs. In the end it could have been that the egg just wasn't fertile, which would be weird, considering that I saw them mating, but if they didn't mate at the right time, maybe it didn't work.

Sorry if I jacked your post... mostly I just wanted to contribute to the general discussion of Schneider's skink eggs... it's not often that this topic comes up on Kingsnake!!

The dark little squiggly thing sounds very promising! BTW, what is your incubator set-up? You said you have 40 lizards... do you regularly breed other lizards too?
-----
Lisa Rakestraw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My skinks:
1.1.1 Corucia zebrata (Berman and Joni, baby Charlemagne)
2.2.2 Eumeces schneideri (Jack and Mabel; Kaa and Cochisa their babies)
0.0.4 Egernia striolata

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Update on Egg - Oregonherpaholic, Mon Jul 18 12:32:48 2011

<< Previous Message:  Update on Egg - Oregonherpaholic, Mon Jul 18 10:57:46 2011 image in post