return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Jackson chameleon sleeping

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HerpZillA at Thu Dec 22 23:26:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HerpZillA ]  

check a GOOD resource on that ssp on temps. sounds way high.

First 8 years ago I had a number of C j j not Mt.Meru Jackson. But I would seriously look into those temps. if my large cages got above 78 my adults would go down to the floor. and for babies I always read heat was even more an issue and I rarely had temps in their main are about 75-76. Again a diff sub species.

I got an order of WC jacksons and had them on my porch in a large screen cage thru Sept. I live in NE Ohio. it was so strange to be 55 degrees and the lights go on and they all start eating. I had far far more issues with temps to high and humidity not high enough. I recall babies need 90-100% humidity or their lungs dry out. Or what ever issues would be created from improper setup.

Following others suggestions I was never successful in rearing babies. i lot a lot of them So I got out of jax. My last setup was the best. Small screen cage tight metal screen. it slows evaporation. A Schefflera that world squeeze in the cage in a large pot with 3/4" gravel covering the dirt so they cant eat the dirt. and a drain in the bottom of the pot out of the cage. My watering system was high tech. A pail of water with 2-3 pin holes to allow drips. you can also add ice in the pail as the bucket allows the water to warm a bit before dripping. The drips went into the plant pot. if to much water the drain was there. KISS.

pins of course, but I found by accident that real fruit flies really excited the babies A LOT. So I would open my fruit fly containers near real fruit flies and put that culture in the cage with a small hole for flies to get out. So in the acge were a cinstant feed of wingless and regualr fruit flies. I also added some calcium to the media. I was never sure about that. but it seemed logical.

Adults were similar, but far far easier to do. They just ate me out of house and home lol.

Good luck. I hope to do a few jax again some day.
-----
Thanks for reading. Peace
Tom

www.HerpZillA.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Jackson chameleon sleeping - campbellman23, Tue Jul 19 19:02:14 2011 *HOT TOPIC*