return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Indigo Books

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: natsamjosh at Fri Aug 5 09:56:08 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by natsamjosh ]  

>>Hi Robert! Thanks for taking the time to write that! Great info! I hadn't actually planned on changing his diet until I saw this thread and it made me concerned that I needed to. When he gets to be an adult I will probably look to add some bird offerings and maybe a fish here and there, but for now I will probably keep with the rodents while he is young so long as I know it is not detrimental to do so. He seems to be thriving just fine and is growing quite quickly as well! I am thrilled with him and am so glad I made the decision save up and get me an Indigo! He is so totally worth it!
>>

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that what's best for the snake is to try to replicate it's natural diet. While I have no doubt they will eat an occasional rodent in the wild, all the data I've seen (which is not much, since I don't think there is a lot of data out there) shows that in the wild they eat mostly snakes and frogs, which are low-fat, high-protein and high-calcium relative to farm/lab raised rodents. When young, I fed my indigo mostly anoles, with an occasional mouse/toad or treat of dreaded goldfish. (I doubt an occasional goldfish is going to do any harm, but I understand the concern.) Now that he's over 6' long, I feed him rabbit pinks (lower in fat than rats) and quail. (I wish I could get feeder snakes and whole trout.) This is all just the way I do things, and I certainly don't consider myself an expert, and I'm not knocking anyone else. But if you do feed all rodents, I would recommend sprinkling the rodents with a calcium supplement.

Whatever you do, please share your experiences, since that is the best way we as hobbyists can continually improve on our husbandry practices.

BTW, I once fed my indigo some sort of oily ocean fish (smelt?). He quickly ate it, but when it came out the other end after a few days, it was the worst thing I've ever smelled, even worse than usual. I was literally gagging when I cleaned it up! Never again!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Indigo Books - Lovin2act, Fri Aug 5 10:12:33 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Indigo Books - Lovin2act, Thu Aug 4 09:42:59 2011 image in post