return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it shell rot or something worse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Linda G at Mon Sep 19 20:25:09 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Linda G ]  

Again, I have to disagree with your vet. A vitamin A deficiency causes swollen eyes. Too much Vit A causes excessive skin shedding. If the area gets infected that is where the problem comes in. I state this from experience. I was giving my turtles a treat of dried shrimp many years ago. Their skin started really pealing and when I read the contents closely I realized it was too much Vit A. After stopping it I have never had a problem. Also the fact you mentioned they have never shed their scutes goes back to having a proper basking area. Mine shed their scutes two times a year. If they were eating Reptomin or Wardleys pellets they do not have a Vit A deficiency. These are pretty much a staple for aquatic turtles. I would discontinue the Vit A supplements. The antibiotic ointment is over the counter. It is the generic if you will of neosporin ointment. Just go to the pharmacy counter and ask where they keep it. Start feeding your turtles romaine lettuce (not iceberg), Turnip greens and mustard greens. small bits of fruit including stawberries and bananas and finely chopped up veggies. Another great food for them is Anarcharis. This grows wild in their environment and my turtles adore it. You can get this in the fish area of Petsmart. It may take a while but they will more than likely love it. Only give meat 3 times per week and in small amounts. In the meantime do the following

Provide the basking area with a heat light 85-90 degress

Wash and rinse the turtles neck well with the betadine solution and then spread a thick layer of Triple antibiotic ointment on the wound area and then dry dock her for one hour twice daily.

Do not leave her out of the water all day as she can get dehydrated.

Do not remove the ointment and place her back in clean water.
Improve her diet and stop giving Vit A supplement.

Keep her separate from the male.

I am pretty sure this should take care of the problem. If you see any other issues with her get a picture and post it. Let me know if you have any other questions

I would strongly encourage you to do lots of research on these guys. I think your vet means well but I don't believe he/she is very experienced with turtles.

Hope this helps
Linda
PS: I have enclosed yet another picture of my outdoor pond for summer use.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Is it shell rot or something worse? - mperetz, Mon Sep 19 21:22:07 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is it shell rot or something worse? - mperetz, Sun Sep 18 21:51:03 2011