return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Snake Problem

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rich G.cascabel at Mon Sep 19 10:51:50 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rich G.cascabel ]  

Just one thing I thought I would add, although my dad was a hunter / fisherman and quite the naturalist, he usually killed the rattlesnakes in the yard (elswhere he let them be). When we were small he actually made a point of always making us come see any snakes that were found and to walk around and look at them from all angles. This developed our eye for spotting them and avoiding accidental bites, and is probbaly what led to my love of them. I would often find an atrox in the yard and never tell him. I would just sit and watch it and check around the next day to see if it was still around etc.

We did have dogs get bit, they were always the instigators. We had one that continued the activity, a yellow lab that just loved rattlesankes and walked around carrying them gently in his mouth (he was pretty much immune after his first bite, definitely immune after subsequent bites), the others learned not to mess with them after the first bite.

To this day I still tell people to make a point of taking a few minutes to just look at the snakes from all angels and to have kids do the same to develope that eye for them. I think it makes a world of difference.

Rich

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Snake Problem - Rich G.cascabel, Mon Sep 19 10:41:02 2011