return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Bite wounds

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: uros4me at Wed Oct 5 08:11:45 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by uros4me ]  

El toro offered some good advice re. my newly acquired mali uros, and, regrettably, was absolutely right on the possibility of fighting.
I've been watching them closely since their arrival a few weeks ago but wasn't terribly concerned because I was told that this "pair" (sex unknown) has been housed together for at least 3 yrs., and I'd provided excellent cover and hiding spots throught the habitat.
I was stunned then, to discover there had been a battle in the 2 hour time frame since I had last checked on them. Luckily there was no damage at all to one, and on the other, only the tail was affected. But THAT was a mess! Bite size chunks missing, torn skin and a surprising amount of blood.
I separated them immediately and the victim seems fine.. bright and alert, eating, active etc., but I wonder if I need to worry about infection. I soaked the tail in warm water to remove the dried blood and have a better look at the damage, then patted it dry with a warm towel. Is there anything further I should do?
Also, I'm REALLY curious why these two would fight now when they've got more space, a better diet, and proper heat/lighting... none of which was available to them before. It's also puzzling to me that the victim was the largest, most robust of the two.
Can anyone offer any advice on why this would happen, and is there any reason to hope they can live together again or would it be too risky to even attempt it?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Bite wounds - DannyBoy9, Fri Oct 21 20:03:55 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Bite wounds - el_toro, Mon Oct 31 13:51:44 2011