return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Tegu . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

new savannah monitor.. prolapse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: MikeV1 at Wed Oct 19 21:00:06 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by MikeV1 ]  

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a sav after my other one passed away, he was a few years old and was a rescue. He died due to the lack of care he had been given for so long in the past, I'm amazed he lived a year with me

So when I had the chance to buy this sav, who's tail is badly kinked (and was neglected), I jumped on it!

The breeder (a reptile store that sells their offspring) got him in 6 months ago and nursed him back to health. then I found him a few days ago. I brought him into my care yesterday

Well, I don't know if he is perfectly healthy...

Ill let the pictures do the talking:

Warning, graphic pictures. But they need to be shown

I discovered this a few hours after getting him. I picked him up in the morning then got a job at a pet store so I had to go to work. When I came home I got to inspect him further and that's when I found it

I have him in a 25 inch long by 1 foot wide by 7 - 8 inches tall tub with a screen installed into the lid for the hot spot. He also has 3 - 4 inches of dirt to go crazy on (hes still a lil guy)

I have him basking at 110f - 120f (because he's not full grown I don't want to over do it) and when I got him I acclimated him slowly up to 110f. then moved it up slowly from there

He has a a hide buried in soil with only the entrance sticking out, a large water dish for soaking and drinking (which is changed very often to keep it clean)

Humidity is 60 - 70% constant

I brought him back to the breeder today for advice.. and they say it's just his hemipene's being averted. But they have been sticking out constantly since I noticed it

and now, no matter what I do, it is not re-hydrating! I have poured comfortably warm water onto it several times but that hasn't helped. Soon I am going to give him a sugar loaded bath for 30 - 45 minutes to see if that helps it

But ultimately in the end I think I am returning him tomorrow. I didn't sign up for a bunch of medical problems, I was looking for a healthy animal (regardless of its past, it should be 100% healthy before being sold) but I don't think I got that

What do you guys think it is? Prolapse? Hemipenes? any help is greatly appreciated

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new savannah monitor.. prolapse? - MikeV1, Wed Oct 19 21:05:41 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: new savannah monitor.. prolapse? - murrindindi, Thu Oct 20 12:09:07 2011