return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Leopard Tort

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EJ at Mon Oct 31 12:24:11 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EJ ]  

That tortoise does not look good. You're biggest problem is most likely temperature... way too low whatever it is.

Check this out... it might help.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828988/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=12509178225&ref=pd_sl_6hgjs7r2zw_b

I'm open to any specific questions you have either here (where others would benefit) or at epirog@comcast.net

Bullying is a possibility.

>>I have two Leopard torts, one is a little over two years old and the other is a little over one. The older tort grew about 4 inches her first year we had her and the next year she grew about 3. The younger tort has grown about 2 inches and from what I have read the normal growth rate for leopards are 2-4. They have been on the same diet as well. Now the last couple of months my wife noticed that they younger tort does not seem to be as active as the other on is or was at this age. I don't know if this is medical or just personality type- these are the first torts we ever owned. Now this morning my wife took a look at little guy and said that it looks like his hind legs are swollen, I personally do not know if they really are or if the tort was letting a little more butt hang out then normal.
>>
>>As you can tell, I do not know a lot about medical matters with torts so I was wondering if any of you have any idea what might be going on here?
>>
>>Also I was wondering if any of you know of any good books that talk more about medical matters with torts? I already own RICHARD FIFE's book but personally I would like like to know more about medical matters with these animals and just don't know where to find the resources.
>>
>>I know that I probably should get this tort in to a vet for a check up but I figure right now I have no vets in my area that are familiar with torts- just a lot of cats, dogs, small mammals, and birds so if I have an idea where to look before I get there I can give them some guidance as to what we may be looking are rather then paying them to do the research on every a tort can get.
>>
>>I will try to post a pic of the tort legs in the next day or two to try to help shed some light on this for you guys as well.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Matt
-----
Ed @ Tortoise Keepers
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Leopard Tort - exoticball, Wed Nov 2 13:08:11 2011

<< Previous Message:  Leopard Tort - exoticball, Sat Oct 22 10:37:16 2011