return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Help plz, my tiger is too fierce!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: McCarthyBoas at Wed Nov 2 19:26:06 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by McCarthyBoas ]  

Hi

Here is some info I posted on RTB for someone that needed help with there retic. I hope this can help you out too.

When I first got Tigger in 9 / 2005 she was not tame at all. It took me about 3 months to tame her. Here is how I worked with her to tame her down.

For the first week I used the snake hook to touch her a few times and I would just put my hand on her body and the hook holding her head. I did this for about 2 or 3 minutes a day. I also put my shirt I was wearing in her cage at night so she would get use to my scent. I did the shirt trick for about 3 1/2 weeks.

The next 2 1/2 weeks I would use the hook by her head and pet her on her body. She would jerk her body and throw my hand off but I would put it right back on her. I did this for about 15 minutes a day.

Then after the 2 1/2 weeks I still did the same thing but I would also pet her head. I did this for about 5 to 7 days.

Then I started to take her out of the cage for about 10 to 15 minutes every day. I would let her go just about any ware she wanted to but I would not put her down. I did this for about a week. I still would pet her in her cage just about every day.

The next week I started to let her crawl around on the floor. But I had to use the snake hook to pick her up as she would strike at me.

After about 1 or 2 weeks she was fine with me then I started letting my kids pet her when I had her out in the house.

The first time I took her outside (this was about 6 to 7 months after I got her) she when right back to wanting to strike at me so I had to use the hook with her.
After about 2 weeks she was fine outside with me and I even let my kids pet her too.

I still use the hook every time I open her cage to take her out. All I have to do is touch her head now and she knows it is not feeding time.

The only time I would not do anything with her was on feeding day and the day after. Tigger use to stays in feeding mode for about 1 to 2 days back then now only a few hours after she eaten.

Tigger has only bitten me one time in 2006 and it was just a little bump on my hand and it was to let me know she did not want to come out as she was deep in shed. The bite did not even bleed, just 2 or 3 little marks in my hand. When she is deep in shed I will not take her out of her cage but I can open it up and pet her. Tigger has become one of my tamest snakes I own, and she is not head shy at all. I believe this is because when I first got her I would pet her head allot. I don't even have to use a snake hook any more when I open her cage. She does have bad shed allot so after she starts to shed I put her in my bath tub and help pull all the old skin off of her. I think she does this on propose as it seems like she like it.

There are pictures of her on my website if you would like to see them. http://www.mccarthyboas.com/Tigger.html
If you have any question and want to talk to me just e-mail me your phone number and I will call you.

I always mess with Tigger's head at home when I have her out so she is use to people touching her head. I can even slap her on her side or even hold her head and give it a good shake and she don't care any more. I have done this for years with her. I even let my kids at home play with Tigger allot to help her get use to children. When ever a snake person is over at my home they can't believe how tame she is and the stuff she will put up with. After owning snakes for 34 years I feel I can read most snakes attitude pretty good at least the ones I own.

Update 10 / 2011
Tigger is probably the tamest snake I own now and I don't even need to use a hook on her any more to get her out of her cage.
She is now over 16 feet long and 90 lbs.

Take care
Tom McCarthy
-----
McCarthyBoas.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help plz, my tiger is too fierce!!! - kevinwangwn, Wed Nov 2 22:13:25 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Help plz, my tiger is too fierce!!! - kevinwangwn, Tue Dec 25 00:31:06 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Help plz, my tiger is too fierce!!! - genen, Mon Feb 25 22:21:34 2013

<< Previous Message:  Help plz, my tiger is too fierce!!! - kevinwangwn, Mon Oct 31 00:06:21 2011