return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: It's been slow here.. Prasinus pic

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Nov 2 19:37:19 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Guys,

What your using Chad is what I used many years ago with Blacktrees. Coco fiber and sand mix. I use that for colubrids as well.

One thought for leaflitter. Its normally only a few inches deep, then it composts into something like coco fiber.

When we where breeding lacies, we used deep leaflitter and it always break down into that compost material.

When gathering leaflitter, it was the same. Deep leaflitter was compost.

Recently I acquired a trio of greentrees and they without question burrow in ackie nesting material. deep sandy material. I do cover it with leaflitter. One female likes to sit in her burrow, with her nose sticking out of the leaflitter.

About the ground or elevated nesting.

I think people are the ones who get fooled by thinking about whats on the bottom of cages as the ground. People tend to think something on the bottom of the cage is the ground. And something higher up is aboreal. When all the while monitors are smarter then us and much less literal, They take whatever it is, as what it is. Not the ground or aboreal. Its merely something on the bottom of the cage. Not terestrial or aboreal, etc. Just material they can use.

If you think about it, its the ackies that get fooled. If the nesting substrate is on the bottom of a trough, then its above the ground level and is in fact elevated or aboreal. So shame on the ackies.

Why keepers think the substrate is the ground is truely amazing. It must be a human thing. As its clearly not.

Anyhow Congrats Chad and it was horrible to hear about your fire. Take your time and work through it slowly. Best wishes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: It's been slow here.. Prasinus pic - jburokas, Fri Nov 4 10:34:41 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: It's been slow here.. Prasinus pic - CMcKinna, Wed Nov 2 15:38:09 2011