return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

To answer your original questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Mon Nov 14 10:50:21 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

I am sorry to see that your question morphed into the thread it did and realized that you really didn't get an answer to your monitor questions.
Some monitors do tolerate handling to some extant others do not. Some species of monitors are better than others at having individuals that will tolerate handling.
Generally speaking however monitors should really be considered a display animal instead of an animal to be handled and carried around the house, it stresses them out.
I kind of get the impression from your post that you may want a large lizard that can at times roam around your house as well. Once again monitors are a bad choice for this given that they tend to want to hide in holes and such in nature and will try to do likewise in your house where they will be even more stressed. If you look up some of my old posts on here I mention some instances years ago where I tried this with a large water monitor and I ended up ripping out a wall to get it out of where it went. I also mention a few other incidents in some posts as well, look them up.
I have found that green iguanas tend to be quite tame in captivity and can tolerate handling much better than most monitors they can also be allowed to wander in the house under close supervision for a while but once again should have a dedicated enclosure for your safety and theirs. They get plenty large for most people, they do however require a complex vegetarian diet not required by monitors. Bearded dragons get a decent size to them as well and are quite handleable by children which seems to be one of your concerns as well. You may want to consider one or the other or looking into some other species. On a good note about niles, while they tend to be aggressive they are as tough as nails and if you should decide to keep it as a display lizard it should do quite well for you if you give it the proper conditions.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Nile Monitor - omrisim1, Thu Nov 10 08:05:13 2011
<< Previous topic:  Ackies and Breeding Pairs - skreal, Wed Nov 9 14:41:58 2011