return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Collared brumation questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Schell at Thu Nov 17 23:48:29 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Schell ]  

Hello everyone,

I suppose this is my introductory post, although I have spoken to a number of you individually. I have also been a lurker for a couple of years on this forum, so I feel like I know a lot of you.

Please excuse the length of this post, but I figure folks may enjoy a discussion amidst all the inactivity. I'm also admittedly anxious about this whole brumation process since this is the first time I've bred collards. I have read boat-loads on this forum and in the archives about brumating collareds but still have a couple of questions:

1) What kind of humidity do you maintain during brumation?

I am of a couple of minds on this. The first is they're desert animals and are used to arid conditions and subjecting a collared to a cold and relatively moist environment seems counter intuitive. In this compromised state, they would not be able to fight off any respiratory infections so its best to keep them drier.

On the other hand, lets think for a second about where collards brumate in the wild. Typically under rocks in relatively shallow burrows that can be close to the surface. When the rains/snow comes, these soils become saturated. I've seen some photos of people who have flipped brumating lizards in the wild and the surrounding soils are completely saturated.

Also it seems like some animals drink if offered water, others don't. Wouldn't keeping humidity up alleviate concerns about dehydration during brumation? Also keeping mucous membranes in the lungs and throat moist would alleviate irritation and potential PREVENT routes of infection.

What do you all think? Does anyone have any actual data on what their humidity is in their brumation enclosure of choice?

2) How thin is too thin to brumate a collared?

The obvious answer is if you have to ask, its probably too thin. Well ok. but there's got to be some gray area here. I ask because my male was extremely active the entire three weeks between the time I stopped his food and the time I cut off the heat completely. He began this period with a nice thick tail and round belly. During the next couple of weeks, he lost a fair amount of weight off his tail and some roundness in his abdomen, but after-all isn't the point to clear the gut? He was still 35 grams when he finally went down which seems to be within the normal weight range and isn't too disconcerting.

I was over-anxious about leaving food in the gut before brumation, and perhaps should have been more aggressive in cutting back the temps faster, but I wanted to make absolutely sure the gut was empty.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Cheers,

Rob

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Collared brumation questions - Eve, Mon Nov 21 09:36:15 2011 image in post