return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: FR, seriously...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Sat Dec 17 18:28:06 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

Firstly, I never asked anyone for "help". I was simply showing off a really cool monitor that my partner picked up.

Saying that an animal is most likely male because it is however many inches and has not laid eggs is just a silly thing to say. Not every female reptile will lay eggs when they hit a certain size/age. They can skip ovulation, they can re-absorb eggs, and so on.

It is VERY easy to visually sex African varanids.

As far as color goes, you can not compare animals that NORMALLY hatch out brightly colored and dull out as they age to an animal that strays so far from the normal looking animal at any stage of its life. Two totally different things.

If you must know what I have done in this hobby, by all means, look my name up and I am sure you will find plenty of info. I am not going to sit here and blow my own horn. Trust me, I am far from new to keeping and breeding reptiles and this includes varanids.

Now, a question for you. Do you think that monitor lizards pair up early in life in the wild before they are sexually mature? If you believe that you are a bit off. Varanids do not pair bond for life and they do not become "childhood friends" before they start to become sexually active. So if this is not a need in the wild, why would they need to be introduced at an early age in captivity?

I know many people who do the exact opposite to what Frank thinks everyone should do and are still very successful. What is your point?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: FR, seriously... - madwhitehat, Sat Dec 17 19:39:56 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: FR, seriously... - FR, Sun Dec 18 10:01:50 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: FR, seriously... - CMcKinna, Sat Dec 17 16:04:24 2011