return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Cool Weekend

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Blood Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: joshtrout at Mon Jan 9 11:48:42 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by joshtrout ]  

So this weekend was the L.A. Super show here in California. It was at the Los Angeles fairgrounds in Pomona. I could walk to it if I wanted to, which is pretty awesome. Feels really good to go to a reptile show in California again. I missed them. When I was back east I would go to the Repticon shows which were fun. But I didn't know many of the breeders, and I felt kind of out of place. Nothing against those shows whatsoever. I did have a good time going to them.

While I was at the show I made my annual donation to USARK, and had a chance to talk to Andrew Wyatt, which is always fun. Discussed an idea I had about a fundraiser I was thinking about, he seemed receptive which was cool. That night I also attended the USARK get-together and auction. I had a good time, but I'm pretty sure my wife didn't. But, that's ok. She probably didn't like the 7$ beers, which I didn't really either. But it was for a good cause, so what the heck.

The really cool thing about this show was getting to meet Philippe De Vosjoli and Robert Mailoux!!! I loved the Vivarium magazine when I was growing up, and read most of Philippe's books as a teenager. Robert Mailoux was somebody I looked up to as a kid with his Sandfire Dragons (also he co-authored the bearded dragon book with philippe). Without their book, I probably wouldn't have had the success with breeding Bearded Dragons I did in 1997 as a punk-kid. So there I am at this show just walking around, and it is packed. I spotted Philippe, and Robert with him. I did a double take. I have never met these gentlemen, only seen pictures of them, so it took me a couple of minutes to make sure it was really them. Once I was sure it was them, I walked up to them and thanked them for all they had done for the hobby, and how their writing had such an impact on me as a child. It was totally awesome. The funny thing is nobody seemed to know who they were. I mentioned to the guys at freedom breeder that they had just walked by their booth and they had no idea. Sad. Is there any respect for the Pioneers?

*On a side note: Kerry King from Slayer was also at the show. He had quite the following. I could care less.
-----
Josh Trout

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cool Weekend - PHFaust, Mon Jan 9 23:16:48 2012