return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Blue Tree Monitor Incubation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chad_ProExotics at Mon Jan 16 18:50:56 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chad_ProExotics ]  

While we are not working with Blue Trees or Yellow Trees for that matter, we are working with Green Trees and starting to have some success with them.
We have hatched eggs from three different clutches and have another clutch cooking. At this time we also have a few gravid girls. In fact two girls went down to lay this weekend. One of the girls who went down is the "yellow" Green Tree type. I hope I get good eggs from her. She is awesome!
Ok, what are we doing? I started with babies or as near babies as I could. Wild caught adult suck. Next we raised them in groups, sometimes moving them around. Each group is in a cage 4ft long, 4ft high and 2ft wide. We do use a very large nest box that is a coco and sand mix. They are fed crickets and mice. Each cage is sprayed most days. Room temps are about 82 in the day and the temps drop about 5 to 7 degrees at night. Each cage has 3 or 4 45 watt halogen bulbs. The cage cork and branches are set up so there are plenty of places to hide, bask, be wet, be dry, etc. The hottest spot in each cage is about 150. I'm surprised how often I see them using those temps.
Breeding follows a clear pattern. The females gain weight, she digs a burrow. They cop, and about 3 to 4 weeks later she goes down to nest. It seems she wants to know she will have a place to lay before she wants to cop. Smart lizards!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Blue Tree Monitor Incubation - Chad_ProExotics, Mon Jan 16 18:58:26 2012

<< Previous Message:  Blue Tree Monitor Incubation - blueiguanaexotic, Mon Jan 9 18:59:58 2012 image in post