return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Gregg

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Thu Jan 19 18:40:00 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

Frank, not everyone keeping vranids needs to have them reproduce for them. Some people are just fine without ever breeding their monitors. And you now what? Its ok and it does not make them unsuccessful keepers. You keep saying how far behind I am and how I know nothing. You saying it over and over again does not make it true. You are like a child who is not getting their way. Like I have said before, people who know me and what I have done know better. What you think has no effect on me. If you think your insulting posts are hurting my feelings, guess again. My skin is a bit thicker than you might think. It going to be funny when Things pan out. I am sure you will still have something stupid to say though.

And no Frank, the high temps did not come from you and neither did the wood stacks. The Germans and other Europeans have been using "your methods" long before you got involved in Varanids. You just took other peoples ideas and made them your own. As much as I hate to admit it, the Europeans are far ahead of us as far as varanid care and reproduction goes.

WillStill,
While I do not fully agree with your post (I do for the most part) I appreciate you posting your thoughts like a gentleman and being respectful instead of like Frank does.

Reptiles do not have a social structure. Keeping reptiles in groups has proven to be detrimental in more times than not. In the wild, there is a way to avoid situation and escape danger. In a cage, there is no escape.

I have seen the same behaviors you mention. I just do not view them as social behaviors. They are more like survival mechanisms. Pack/pride animals and primates have social structure with a clear cut hierarchy. You will not see such a structure in any species of reptile including varanids. They do not even have a primative social structure like birds do.

Agian, what we see in reptiles are basic survival mechanisms that even insects display. In fact, honey producing bees and ants display more of a social stucture. Not because they are "smarter" but because it benefits them as a species.

Reptiles never evolved a social structure because it is not needed for their survival individually or as a species.

Someone asked me how I was able to keep my Savannah alive for so many years in a post above. My secret is, I keep thins simple. That is how I am successful with so many other species when it comes to reproducing and keeping them alive and healthy. I do not look for things that do not exist in their biology. I do not complicate simple tasks. I do what works for me. If it works for me, it can work for other people. Like I said, there is more than one way to do something. As long as the end results are positive, you reall can knock someone.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Gregg - varanusaurus, Fri Jan 20 01:47:16 2012
>> Next Message:  Reptiles do not have a social structure - Calparsoni, Fri Jan 20 03:18:54 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Gregg - FR, Thu Jan 19 14:29:58 2012