return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Coping from tragedy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dmlove02 at Sun Jan 15 18:54:23 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dmlove02 ]  

So long story short, I am in vet school and decided this winter break I would travel to Nicaragua and head a veterinary mission on the island of Ometepe. It is in desperate need for medicines and sterilizations, and there is also some great herping/birding to be done down that ways, so it was a double whammy of awesome for me. Tragically, I received an email from my petsitter that said my thermostat malfunctioned and basically for 24 hours the hot air was blasting into my trailer at full force. My red tail boa who was 7 years old, both my young red tegus, and my african grey parrot who I have had since I was 15 all perished from heat exhaustion. Only my ball python survived in his water dish (which was near boiling temperature when checked by the pet sitter). It was a heartbreaking end to a spectacular trip. As I come back to put my life back together, I know I am no where near replacing my parrot. I do, however, want to replace my tegus. I just recently built an 8 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft cage specifically for my two red brothers. They were in large bins almost ready to transition to the large cage. At this point, I would really just like to obtain a large male tegu (either black and white or red) to put into the large cage but it seems hard to find any available from the limited classified ad system out there for these guys. I have tried some on Fauna and here on Kingsnake, tegu talk, and thetegu. Any other leads? I feel like I need to keep this hobby going to help me clear my mind of the deaths of all my babies. Any help is appreciated, I realize I am asking for a very specific thing.

David

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Coping from tragedy - laurarfl, Thu Jan 19 08:57:40 2012